Ableton Automation issue with Vult and Cherry Audio ladder filter

For discussion of the Voltage Modular synthesis ecosystem.
arbuxMusic

Ableton Automation issue with Vult and Cherry Audio ladder filter

Post by arbuxMusic »

I am having some issues with the the Cherry Audio Ladder Filter and Vult Lateralus Filter module using Ableton automation.

I have attached the Ableton projects (in the zip file) to help with diagnosis.

The video at https://youtu.be/Oo2bVRKg9Mc shows intermittent switch to manual automation due to the plugin manually changing values (and appearing to Ableton as if this is manual input).

No manual device changes or UI changes are being made at this time.

My guess would be that there is some code manually setting the filter knob value within the module or through Voltage Modular itself potentially?

- 00:02 - First play through, automation switches to manual at 0:10.(see the red left arrow after 0:10).
- 00:17 - Second playthrough, automation switches to manual at 02:44.
- 03:01 - Third playthrough with "automation arm" switched off. Automation switches to manual at 3:37.
- 03:48 - General Settings
- 03:55 - CPU Settings
- 03:58 - Interface Settings
- 04:06 - Cable Settings

I am running a recent (in the last week) fresh install of Voltage Modular (most recent version), Ableton Live 10 Suite (10.1.13 Build: 2020-04-20_0e82317521) on Windows 10 Pro (10.0.18363 Build 18363).

Let me know if there are additional troubleshooting steps I can take to diagnose and fix. (The issue is affecting a track I am getting ready to publish :/ )
Attachments
Celestial Drifter 2_0 TRK Project.zip
(771.47 KiB) Downloaded 166 times
elamid

Re: Ableton Automation issue with Vult and Cherry Audio ladder filter

Post by elamid »

Hi all,

Same problem here.

I just started playing with automation of Voltage Modular VST from my DAWs (FL20 and Ableton Live 10) …

At first, I just wanted to automate master volume from FL20, just to fade in and out Voltage Modular audio out. Usually fade in is OK, but fade out will never be hit. So I tried to automate different parameters (mixer volume for the different voices of the patch) but same result.

Then I switched to Ableton, to check if the problem only occurs with FL20 … but then again, same results.

So I came to the forum, to see if someone already had this issue, and see if there are some tips and tricks to solve it …

Reading the preceding post made me understand what was going on under the hood (as I'm rather newbie to all this) …
Apparently, fake manual automation occurs randomly that stops the programmed one (the red left arrow in the Ableton's command ribbon actually lights up, and a red dotted line shows up in automation display at the level where the manual automation was detected).

Let me know if there is something I can do to help solve this.

Regards,
Eric.
Cherry Dan
Site Admin

Post by Cherry Dan »

Hi,

You should find that this issue is resolved when Voltage Modular 2.0 is released this week. Let us know if you have any further issues!

Thanks,
- Dan @ Cherry Audio
elamid

Post by elamid »

Thanks, that's good news …

So we will be even more eagerly waiting for the VM 2.0 release 8-) !

Eric.
arbuxMusic

Post by arbuxMusic »

Just downloaded the v2 of Voltage Modular, watched the intense v2 summary video, then tested the patch on my track: It worked 100% successfully.

Thanks to Cherry Audio for releasing a whole new version just to fix my issue :D .

arbux
elamid

Post by elamid »

Same here,

Installed VM 2.0 last night, on Windows 10 ... Tested this morning with FL20, all automations are now working correctly :) !

Didn't have time to check with Ableton, but it probably should also work ...

Thanks CA for the good work with this upgrade !

Eric.

Return to “Voltage Modular”