Recording Knob Turning in MIDI Tracks.

For discussion of the Voltage Modular synthesis ecosystem.
JasonKook

Recording Knob Turning in MIDI Tracks.

Post by JasonKook »

When I press record in my DAW (studio one) and turn knobs in real-time, the playback doesn't record the knob turning. I was using this patch.
Attachments
Screenshot (9).png
Screenshot (9).png (851.72 KiB) Viewed 4636 times
seal58

Re: Recording Knob Turning in MIDI Tracks.

Post by seal58 »

You mixed cv and audio again!
Main audio output to DAW is an AUDIO output. I see that you connected PLAY and STOP signals to audio too. Your DAW will not record any knob moving. It will record audio only.
schoekah

Post by schoekah »

among other things, amp input is meant for audio.
JasonKook

Post by JasonKook »

I think I got it, CV should be converted to audio via the Amp, then sent out? I tried adjusting the patch below...

Also, I'm using a MIDI Controller without knobs, so I tried "MIDI Learn" but it doesn't seem to work.
Attachments
Screenshot (10).png
Screenshot (10).png (834.3 KiB) Viewed 4605 times
martb

Post by martb »

You're still getting the inputs to the amp the wrong way round - ie. Env out should go to CV in on the amp, etc.
It might help to have a look at one of the template example presets in the core presets.
seal58

Post by seal58 »

Basically it is not wrong to send cv to an Amp module. The module will amplify that cv voltage too.
Within Cherry Audio modular synth there is no physical difference between cv and audio voltage. Both kinds of signals are only digital values. So you don't need and you can't convert between both types.
But a DAW can only work with AC voltage. That's what an audio signal normally is.

So the way of an audio signal should be
Oscillator output - Amp (controlled by envelope CV) input - Amp output - Filter (controlled by any cv) Input - Filter output - mixer input - mixer output - Output to DAW
schoekah

Post by schoekah »

The module will amplify that cv voltage too.
Based on what the oscilloscope tells me, the CA amplifier doesn't actually amplify anything though, it just attenuates. Example, if you send 3 volts in, there's nothing in there to get more than 3 volts out, although can get 2.5 volts, or -3 volts using the inverter. So it's an amplifier that doesn't amplify.. . is that right?
Cherry Dan
Site Admin

Post by Cherry Dan »

JasonKook wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 4:34 pm When I press record in my DAW (studio one) and turn knobs in real-time, the playback doesn't record the knob turning. I was using this patch.
Right-click on any knob and assign it to an Automation value. After that, you'll be able to record your knob movements in Studio One.

Thanks,
- Dan @ Cherry Audio
Cherry Dan
Site Admin

Post by Cherry Dan »

schoekah wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 10:47 pm So it's an amplifier that doesn't amplify.. . is that right?
I know it may seem counter-intuitive, but synthesizer VCAs are really attenuators, not amplifiers. This odd naming convention goes back to the early '60s.

- Dan @ Cherry Audio
schoekah

Post by schoekah »

Thanks Dan!

Return to “Voltage Modular”