extending the 8 note sequencer

For discussion of the Voltage Modular synthesis ecosystem.
thelonious

extending the 8 note sequencer

Post by thelonious »

How can you use the sequencer that comes with VM Core to make sequences of longer than 8 note? As it stands, this is very limiting for a set of modules that is so comprehensive in other ways. You can run them in parallel easily enough by triggering several instances of the same sequencer from the beginning, but to do it in series, you'd need an output that triggers (to begin another sequence in another instance of the sequencer) at the end of the first sequence (and so on). I couldn't find that on the Eight-Step Sequencer, and there doesn't appear to be another option from the entire set of over 100 Core modules.

I tried doing it with gates (Threshold) and tuned cue outputs - but it got so complicated for something so basic. Any ideas gratefully received.
honki-bobo

Re: extending the 8 note sequencer

Post by honki-bobo »

Like so:
16-Step Sequencer Core.jpg
16-Step Sequencer Core.jpg (288.5 KiB) Viewed 5328 times
Use 1 sequencer as the "Master". This is where you set the tempo, control the playback and trigger the 8x1 switches. It has the first step set to 5V, all other steps are set to 0V.
You can easily expand this patch to a 64-step sequencer by using the other inputs on the 8x1 switches and wire the other sequencers accordingly. You will need an extra Multiple module to connect the "Play Trig" from the Master sequencer to the start and reset inputs of the other sequencers.
16-Step Sequencer Core.voltagepreset
(13.83 KiB) Downloaded 196 times
Last edited by honki-bobo on Fri May 01, 2020 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Monkey Business Audio
Modules - Music - Twitter - YouTube
honki-bobo

Post by honki-bobo »

You can also check out this thread in the Preset Exchange forum.
Monkey Business Audio
thelonious

Post by thelonious »

That's great. I've got as far as a 32 step bass sequence using the multiple utility as you said. I do not think I'd have figured that set-up out myself, at least not unless I was in gaol or something (which come to think of it, we are). I'm still trying to follow out how it functions in detail.

I tried before using a similar idea but with the master sequencer sending out different frequencies to noise gates, and the Boolean logic module to sort out the switching - but it all ended in tears.
So I'll keep your configuration as a template.

Thanks a lot, honki-bobo
honki-bobo

Post by honki-bobo »

thelonious wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 6:32 pm Thanks a lot, honki-bobo
No problem.
thelonious wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 6:32 pm I'm still trying to follow out how it functions in detail.
The basic idea is to have the master sequencer function as the master clock, that is why all steps are turned on and the TRIG OUT is connected to the EXT CLK inputs of the "slave" sequencers. The first step is set to 5V so it can trigger the 8x1 switches on each loop, that is why the OUTPUT of the master sequencer is connected to the STEP TRIGGER inputs of the switches. The PLAY TRIG output is mainly used to send a reset signal to the slave sequencers and the switches, so your pattern starts from the beginning each time you press play. You could actually omit the connection to the START inputs, but you would have to press play on each slave sequencer before starting your sequence with the play button on the master. The slaves won't play since they are set to use an external clock signal.

You could use another 8x1 switch for the GATE OUT of each slave sequencer, but I found it more convenient to switch over the TRIG OUTs and use a TriggerToGate module. This way you only have one knob to control the gate length for the entire sequence.

The Sample&Hold module is there to hold the last note value over silent notes when a step is turned off. You could also omit this module if you set the value of the silent note to the same value as its predecessor, but I also find this more convenient.

I hope I am explaining this in a way so you can understand what's going on and you are not more confused than before :lol:

If you have any questions, feel free to post them here.

Happy patching and stay safe!
Monkey Business Audio
schoekah

Post by schoekah »

Hi Honki-bobo,

More than making music or sounds, I really like the clever and elegant puzzles that modular synthesis offers. I've thanked you before in another thread, but I really understand this one, and appreciate this as much (and your willingness to share) as any music that I've heard people create.

Cheers!
thelonious

Post by thelonious »

To echo all schoekah said: Thanks so much, honki-bobo, for your impressive demonstration of how to link up modules to achieve the aim I wanted, and for the detailed explanation.

thelonious
honki-bobo

Post by honki-bobo »

Thanks, guys! Always glad to help.

BTW, you can always show your appreciation by buying some of my modules :D
Monkey Business Audio
schoekah

Post by schoekah »

I'll check them out, thanks! 8-)
thelonious

Post by thelonious »

Last night I found another way to link up sequncers to extend the number of bars - though the results are kind of curious - using the Threshold noise gate to regulate the sequence cues. There are two results here in the Present Exchange:

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=912

Return to “Voltage Modular”