extending the 8 note sequencer

For discussion of the Voltage Modular synthesis ecosystem.
schoekah

Re: extending the 8 note sequencer

Post by schoekah »

Hi Thelonius,

That was fun, thanks for sharing! I've never used threshold, so thanks for showing how that can be used (a 2 step switch).
(threshold seemed redundant in hippo 2 though - I moved its cv input to the step input of the 8x1 switch and as far as I could tell it still worked. . . did I miss something?)

regards!
thelonious

Post by thelonious »

The threshold (as far as I understand it) is a noise gate which is typically used in audio either for blotting out low level unwanted sounds from a recording (those that don't reach the threshold of the wanted signals) and also creatively like getting 'chunks' of reverb as in the 80's effect, gated reverb on drums.

However, here I thought it would be a good way to send a signal (step one of the master sequencer) to switch to a different 'slave' sequencer every eight 'beats'. that's what is supposed to be happening in both of those patches. If you put the threshold down far enough, it SHOULD stop working because it will change the 'switch up' on every beat - even the 'low voltage' ones. But if that's not happening, then I dunno - it's a miracle.

....yes, I've just tried it, and you're right - you can bypass the noise gate and it still steps up the switch only on the first step of the master, so long as it's set to the highest level and all the others low. The 8-1 switcher maybe needs a higher voltage than the minimum output from the sequencer to kick in.......I don't know, it gets confusing with all these cables, but it worked anyway.
schoekah

Post by schoekah »

oh nice, more good info!
I'm learning more about buchla synthesis, and the threshold might be a good way of adding extra audio effects to notes played with a higher velocity, or with higher pitch cv.
good stuff!

Return to “Voltage Modular”