Recording a sequencer with a DAW

For discussion of the Voltage Modular synthesis ecosystem.
JasonKook

Recording a sequencer with a DAW

Post by JasonKook »

So I managed to create a Sequencer, but I'm not sure how to record it while it plays (manually pressing the start button on sequencer).

Also, this crashes my DAW (Studio One).

Anyone else run into these issues?
Attachments
Screenshot (7).png
Screenshot (7).png (780.53 KiB) Viewed 3173 times
seal58

Re: Recording a sequencer with a DAW

Post by seal58 »

I can not understand why you are trying to record the control voltage that is output by the sequencers. That's a DC voltage. You connected all these cv outputs as well as filter audio outputs to one line and send it to DAW.

Usually a sequencer is used to modulate an oscillator.

I propose, have a look at some cherry sequencer presets.
schoekah

Post by schoekah »

Hi JasonKook,

You may not be clear on what the difference between audio signals and cv is.
audio is music, cv is different power levels sent to modules to tell them what to do. keep them separate until you've got things more figured out. understand when you're drawing a wire whether it's carrying music or instructions for another module (CV). figure out if a jack on a module is for cv or audio.
that funny guy in the second cherry intro vid mixes them up, even though his patch works for some reason. (the one with the discussion on this topic in the comments.) he should fix that.

cab 1:
you're mixing audio and cv in the multiple.
like seal58 said, don't send cv out to your computer's speakers. (there's the beauty of software. . . probably a $300 mistake in real eurorack)

2nd cabinet:
filter audio is going into amp cv
that amp's audio input is coming from EG cv
(I don't know what dust and cackle do, so can't say if those make sense. probably not if they're audio effects being used on cv power levels.)

3rd cabinet:
filter audio signal going into amp cv
envelope cv going into amp audio

for basic patches, there's kind of an order to modules
cv effects (glide, arps, seq) > osc > eg /amp > audio effects (dist, reverb)

salud!
JasonKook

Post by JasonKook »

seal58 wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 6:48 pm I can not understand why you are trying to record the control voltage that is output by the sequencers. That's a DC voltage. You connected all these cv outputs as well as filter audio outputs to one line and send it to DAW.

Usually a sequencer is used to modulate an oscillator.

I propose, have a look at some cherry sequencer presets.
So the Audio ultimately comes from the amplifier? Then the Output of the Sequencer should always go to a source... I see. I will take another look at the presets thanks for your help!
JasonKook

Post by JasonKook »

schoekah wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:31 pm Hi JasonKook,

You may not be clear on what the difference between audio signals and cv is.
audio is music, cv is different power levels sent to modules to tell them what to do. keep them separate until you've got things more figured out. understand when you're drawing a wire whether it's carrying music or instructions for another module (CV). figure out if a jack on a module is for cv or audio.
that funny guy in the second cherry intro vid mixes them up, even though his patch works for some reason. (the one with the discussion on this topic in the comments.) he should fix that.

cab 1:
you're mixing audio and cv in the multiple.
like seal58 said, don't send cv out to your computer's speakers. (there's the beauty of software. . . probably a $300 mistake in real eurorack)

2nd cabinet:
filter audio is going into amp cv
that amp's audio input is coming from EG cv
(I don't know what dust and cackle do, so can't say if those make sense. probably not if they're audio effects being used on cv power levels.)

3rd cabinet:
filter audio signal going into amp cv
envelope cv going into amp audio

for basic patches, there's kind of an order to modules
cv effects (glide, arps, seq) > osc > eg /amp > audio effects (dist, reverb)

salud!
I thought that Dust and Crackle needed to feed into the Sequencer first as sources. I'm getting a clearer picture of the order. I think the software rightfully crashing, saying "YOU JUST BURNED YOUR HOUSE DOWN (in real life!)"
schoekah

Post by schoekah »

8-)
(those cab1, cab2 lists are things that should be changed on your patch - you should be connecting audio outs on one module to audio ins on another, and cv outs to cv ins, and make sure your audio effect modules have audio wires connected to them - not cv)

try to make one mistake at a time by starting simple and adding one module at a time, make sure things work before adding another module. test by connecting to audio out, or using your oscilloscope to see if a module jack output is cv or audio.

best wishes!

Return to “Voltage Modular”