Connecting Stop/Start Multiple 8 Step Seq. in Stand Alone situation

For discussion of the Voltage Modular synthesis ecosystem.
menoche

Connecting Stop/Start Multiple 8 Step Seq. in Stand Alone situation

Post by menoche »

Hi All,

I am probably missing something obvious. I am running Voltage Modular as a standalone app without a DAW.
I want to have a number of 8 Step Sequencers to start and stop together with a mouse (or MIDI keyboard) click for start and some other note/mouse click to stop. I can get the start button on one to get multiple to start but not stop/not seeing a connect (I can get the start of one to stop another). Only solution so far is to use a MIDI note on (e.g., a gate) connected to a number of stop ports. It works but not as elegant as I would like.
Image included - thanks in advance
Attachments
Screen Shot 2020-04-24 at 1.37.01 AM.jpg
Screen Shot 2020-04-24 at 1.37.01 AM.jpg (192.37 KiB) Viewed 2107 times
honki-bobo

Re: Connecting Stop/Start Multiple 8 Step Seq. in Stand Alone situation

Post by honki-bobo »

Hi menoche,

you could use another sequencer as your master clock/playback control.

Master-Slave-Sequencers.jpg
Master-Slave-Sequencers.jpg (248.13 KiB) Viewed 2105 times

Set the clocks on the slave sequencers to EXT and press PLAY on both of them. They won't play, because they are missing a clock signal. That's where the master sequencer comes in. Connect its TRIG OUT output to the EXT CLK inputs of the slave sequencers. Also, connect PLAY TRIG from the master to RESET input of the slaves. That way the slave sequencers will restart the sequence each time you press play at the master. If the master stops, the slaves will also stop as they no longer receive a clock signal.
Monkey Business Audio
Modules - Music - Twitter - YouTube
menoche

Re: Connecting Stop/Start Multiple 8 Step Seq. in Stand Alone situation

Post by menoche »

Thanks for the quick response and a suggested solution. This does get me closer and this solution will work for some of the things that I want to do. At times though I want to be able to have the 8 Step Sequencer to play at different rates. It seems that Ext Clock solution locks them into the same set of time. The goal is to be able to have different cycles at different speeds (e.g., one set of pitches but a slower cycle of filter adjustments. A bit of experiments and thinking had me explore the MIDI Drum Trigger. It does seem to work so one note to start and one note to play. It could be a MIDI pad, or using the QWERTY keyboard would at least keep it all on the computer (though I would like to be able to have it all internal within the Voltage Modular.
I did try the Perform Controls Panel and initials seem to show assigning them to Buttons 1 and 2 (visually harder to track/not seeing the connections visually for teaching or performance).
All get me closes but still interested in other solutions/ideas.
Thanks!!!
Attachments
Screen Shot 2020-04-24 at 10.36.28 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2020-04-24 at 10.36.28 PM.jpg (351.63 KiB) Viewed 2066 times

Return to “Voltage Modular”