Eight-Step Sequencer Basics Needed

For discussion of the Voltage Modular synthesis ecosystem.
JasonKook

Eight-Step Sequencer Basics Needed

Post by JasonKook »

Total noob here -

Having trouble getting the Eight-Step Sequencer to function. Basically I can only produce a continuous tone (controllable with my MIDI keyboard). I've looked almost everywhere for help, maybe I'm missing something...

P.S. My noob skills-

I can create a multiple oscillator patch with Envelope Generator, Filter, Amplifier, and Effects and route them through a Mixer lol.
JackOats

Re: Eight-Step Sequencer Basics Needed

Post by JackOats »

Hi Jason - Could you post a screenshot of your setup?
iMac 27/Catalina/3.5 GBh Intel Core i7/16 GB Ram/3 TB HD
The masculine includes the feminine (Guys)
Google: 'JackOats' to see my Soundcloud page, 'Brian Watterson - Vimeo' for my Videos.
JasonKook

Post by JasonKook »

I can start and stop the notes now with my MIDI keyboard.
I can start and stop the notes now with my MIDI keyboard.
Screenshot (3) - Copy.png (751.36 KiB) Viewed 4253 times

I can start and stop the notes now with my MIDI keyboard but any other patching leads to dead ends.

Thanks!
sdv

Post by sdv »

You're close. You want the step sequencer at the beginning of that chain so that it sends its CV output (the sequencer creates the CV voltage (i.e. your 'notes' when the Quantization button is pressed) to the KB CV input jack of the Oscillator (which turns the CV signal into actual sound).
Plug the sequencer Gate Out to the Gate In of the Envelope (that way the envelope will be in sync with the sequencer).
The Amplifier is the module which is connected to the Main Audio Outs.
In this pic I'm controlling the speed (i.e. External Clock) via a LFO.
Attachments
Vltg_seq1.JPG
Vltg_seq1.JPG (65.31 KiB) Viewed 4222 times
JasonKook

Post by JasonKook »

You're kidding...So the Sequencer actually acts as an independent CVOut panel! So here's what I did...
Screenshot (4).png
Screenshot (4).png (980.22 KiB) Viewed 4216 times

I have the Sequencer running independently from a pitch-controlled synth. This was an amazing help SDV!
sdv

Post by sdv »

JasonKook wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 4:31 am You're kidding...So the Sequencer actually acts as an independent CVOut panel! So here's what I did...Screenshot (4).png

I have the Sequencer running independently from a pitch-controlled synth. This was an amazing help SDV!
Sure, that's all a sequencer is -- a clocked CV out pitch + gate signal. I reckon that's the definition of it.
That said. It's quite a mad connection rig you've got happening -- maybe someone will try to recreate it. What's its purpose??
JasonKook

Post by JasonKook »

The Sequencer plays as a drum machine (Envelope Filter set with low A and S) and the lower cabinet plays as a lead synth independently. Next step will be, panning both instruments (one left, one right). The Delta module was just an experiment.

The ultimate goal is to have 3 or 4 Sequencers with Swing Modules and other controllers/utilities on each. Thank you for enabling my madness!

Couldn't have done it without you,
sdv

Post by sdv »

JasonKook wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 6:25 am The Sequencer plays as a drum machine (Envelope Filter set with low A and S) and the lower cabinet plays as a lead synth independently. Next step will be, panning both instruments (one left, one right). The Delta module was just an experiment.

The ultimate goal is to have 3 or 4 Sequencers with Swing Modules and other controllers/utilities on each. Thank you for enabling my madness!

Couldn't have done it without you,
Ahhh, I see. Very cool patch! Well done! Glad to help out!
Stay safe and creative!

Return to “Voltage Modular”