MIDI error in Note 6 (nekomatic)

For discussion of the Voltage Modular synthesis ecosystem.
sdv

MIDI error in Note 6 (nekomatic)

Post by sdv »

I've been noticing this error in the Note 6 module by nekomatic. The output note is two octaves lower than what it should be. I've looked to see if there is some sort of 'Global MIDI scaling' feature in Voltage but I haven't seen on. I'd think each MIDI note-number would be set in stone. Wondering what's going on here (just consider the first note - 48 is outputting as 24).
Voltage_mode6_err.JPG
Voltage_mode6_err.JPG (16.48 KiB) Viewed 3011 times
nekomatic

Re: MIDI error in Note 6 (nekomatic)

Post by nekomatic »

Yes, it is an error and at the same time it is not...

When buildding this modue I followed the guidlines from the VCV rack only to find out later that VM uses different base frequency for the 0V.

To be more precise - as per MIDI standard the value of 60 represents note C4, which i.e. in VCV rack this is equivalent to 0V but VM it would be 2V.

I'm not sure it would be wise to change this now as quite few people already use this module and 'fixing' this to the VM standards would break their patches. However if thats a serious problem I may try to squize in an extra toggle to allow switching between those standards...
sdv

Post by sdv »

nekomatic wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:45 pm Yes, it is an error and at the same time it is not...

When buildding this modue I followed the guidlines from the VCV rack only to find out later that VM uses different base frequency for the 0V.

To be more precise - as per MIDI standard the value of 60 represents note C4, which i.e. in VCV rack this is equivalent to 0V but VM it would be 2V.

I'm not sure it would be wise to change this now as quite few people already use this module and 'fixing' this to the VM standards would break their patches.
Hmmm, so, what's your suggestion; to put a transposer between every single output? That's not a good option with 24 notes across four modules.
Last edited by sdv on Sat Apr 18, 2020 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
nekomatic

Post by nekomatic »

A toggle to allow switching between VCV and VM voltages would solve this.
i.e. by default the MIDI note 60 (C4) will produce 0V as before but by a click of a button the MIDI note 60 will change to 2V. This way existing pathes will still work. Does it sound reasonable?
The most challenging part will probably be to find a room for such button :D
sdv

Post by sdv »

nekomatic wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 11:58 pm A toggle to allow switching between VCV and VM voltages would solve this.
i.e. by default the MIDI note 60 (C4) will produce 0V as before but by a click of a button the MIDI note 60 will change to 2V. This way existing pathes will still work. Does it sound reasonable?
The most challenging part will probably be to find a room for such button :D
Ahh, that does sound reasonable! It's a handy idea!! I look forward to it!
Yes, it's a little cramped up at the top but I suppose it can be a 'small' button (maybe colored orange 'V' (similar to the 'L'earn) to indicate it's in the VM setting). :mrgreen:
sdv

Post by sdv »

Just wanted to update this post and let everyone know that nekomatic resolved my issue and the module works both ways now. Very happy! :D

Return to “Voltage Modular”