VM Recorder advice, please

For discussion of the Voltage Modular synthesis ecosystem.
khapahk1956

VM Recorder advice, please

Post by khapahk1956 »

I'm not sure if it's my reading of the module "help" or if there is an issue with this module !

I'm testing this out and am having difficulties saving a file for my recording. Help says "Using the "FILE SELECT" button you can choose a location and a file name for the recorded audio file" so I click on File Select, a browser opens, I browse to the required folder, create a file name and click on Save. The saved file name and path appears on the VM Recorder module, in my case E:\cherry audio\recorded samples\test01. However, as soon as I press the REC button to commence my recording, the file name and path immediately changes to the default, in my case C:\Users\Bob\vmrecorder.wav. I have tried this several times and get exactly the same result every time.

Also, where should I be sourcing the REC GATE signal from ? No luck with this either.

Here are screen dumps of the simple patch that I set up to test this module, first showing created filename and second with default on pressing REC button

I'm still quite new to the modular synth world so please be gentle with me !
Cherry Dan
Site Admin

Re: VM Recorder advice, please

Post by Cherry Dan »

Try setting your file name to test01.wav, instead of just test01. Perhaps the module is going back to the default because the name you entered is missing the .wav extension.

Dan
khapahk1956

Post by khapahk1956 »

Thanks, Dan, that works, a bit of a school-boy error really so apologies for wasting your time !

I don't like to appear greedy but any thoughts on the REC GATE question, as well ?
Cherry Dan
Site Admin

Post by Cherry Dan »

You'll have to wait for the developer to chime in to be certain, but the Rec Gate is almost certainly optional, if you just manually press the record button. The gate would be useful if you wanted to record and stop based on some signal, such as the start of playing in your DAW.

Dan
khapahk1956

Post by khapahk1956 »

Thanks, Dan, I'll see if I get a reply.

Bob
Ian Craig

Post by Ian Craig »

I've gotta say, this doesn't seem to work properly here and also has a continuous flickering around the edge of the module. I quickly gave up and went back to using my own reliable method of using MRecorder (from Meldaproductions) in the Mini Plugin Host. Was just a waste of $8 really. Never mind.
P.S. It should also have outputs (like the plugin host does) otherwise it clogs up the outputs of previous modules that have to go to the outputs separately as well as into this module ... which is tiresome when you have to remember to connect the last module when it appears to be connected already. Confusing.
AMD Ryzen 8 Core 3.0 GHz,
2TB SSD etc, 40GB RAM,
Windows 10 Professional
Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 (Audio Interface)
Mixcraft 7,8 (& sometimes 9) Pro Studio
honki-bobo

Post by honki-bobo »

Dear Bob,
khapahk1956 wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 6:26 pm The saved file name and path appears on the VM Recorder module, in my case E:\cherry audio\recorded samples\test01. However, as soon as I press the REC button to commence my recording, the file name and path immediately changes to the default, in my case C:\Users\Bob\vmrecorder.wav. I have tried this several times and get exactly the same result every time.
This has been fixed since version 1.2. The file extension .wav gets added automatically now if it is missing, so this should not happen anymore. Also the flickering background has been fixed.
khapahk1956 wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 6:26 pm Also, where should I be sourcing the REC GATE signal from ? No luck with this either.
You can source the Rec Gate input from any gate signal. For instance, I use a square wave of 90% width and very low frequence (about 0.5 Hz) as a trigger for a random kick drum generator. Besides triggering a lot of Sample&Hold modules that sample white noise, I trigger the Rec Gate to record the generated kick drums. After letting this run for a while I stop the generator and listen back to the recordings it made. I've made a lot of nice kick drums this way. Here's a simple random kick drum generator including VM Recorder. It uses Voltage Modular Core modules.

VM Recorder Random Kick Generator.voltagepreset
(43.96 KiB) Downloaded 184 times

Dear Ian,
Ian Craig wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:48 pm Was just a waste of $8 really. Never mind.
I'm sorry you think that way. Maybe the updates have changed your mind a bit in the meantime.
Ian Craig wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:48 pm P.S. It should also have outputs (like the plugin host does) otherwise it clogs up the outputs of previous modules that have to go to the outputs separately as well as into this module ... which is tiresome when you have to remember to connect the last module when it appears to be connected already. Confusing.
I'll keep that in mind for the next update.
Monkey Business Audio
Modules - Music - Twitter - YouTube
khapahk1956

Post by khapahk1956 »

Thanks for getting back with that information, looks like it's just what I need !

Return to “Voltage Modular”