The previous requests for a 128/256 step sequencer

For discussion of the Voltage Modular synthesis ecosystem.
Ian Craig

The previous requests for a 128/256 step sequencer

Post by Ian Craig »

The previous requests for a 128/256 step sequencer module seems to have produced nothing other than a drum sequencer (uQuence), unless it's still in the works. Has this idea been abandoned (as there is plenty of interest in having one, judging by the earlier thread) ?
Also, the idea that it would take up too much space is absurd when the alternative is to take up much more space using many sequencers combined and have to chain them together with thousands of cables.
AMD Ryzen 8 Core 3.0 GHz,
2TB SSD etc, 40GB RAM,
Windows 10 Professional
Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 (Audio Interface)
Mixcraft 7,8 (& sometimes 9) Pro Studio
Benard

Re: The previous requests for a 128/256 step sequencer

Post by Benard »

Hi Ian,

I'm working on a couple of big sequencers at the moment. Not sure how long it will take me to get them ready for release, or exactly what the feature set will be, but I might be able to fork one of them into a 128-step sequencer. If there are any specific features you'd be interested in, feel free to let me know and I'll try to incorporate them.

From my experience, it gets really tricky when you're dealing with so many interface elements, so it's not at all trivial to make a huge sequencer that works well. But I'm sure there are some amazing new tools coming to VM, from CA and from myself and the other 3rd party developers. So stay tuned!
Ian Craig

Post by Ian Craig »

Hi Mr Benard (I saw your full name somewhere but I can't find it now),
That's great news, thanks and thanks for the new LFO modules I discovered yesterday added into the bundle, the Advanced Quad LFO re-sparked my interest and kept me occupied for hours (when currently I'm finding motivation for creative activity difficult). :D
As for potential features another thing I discovered yesterday (on the Mixcraft forum) was this post with the included preset that I found mind boggling. The preset seems to demonstrate control that in not unlike Chris Franke's modular setup of the early 80s. Grasping it seems a bit beyond me, but I would love anything that can give user control like this preset does but with a lot fewer cabling requirements. I think it's a work of art and it may set you thinking. :) Thanks again for your great modules.
https://forums.acoustica.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=25501
2TB SSD etc, 40GB RAM,
Windows 10 Professional
xuoham

Post by xuoham »

Interesting thread ...

I have this absolutely great sounding EMS VCS3 vst emulation (and beyond) from XILS Labs, the XILS3 and XILS4, and it has a zoomable 128 steps max. sequencer for modulating things.
I think the design is not bad at all (of course there was no such thing on the VCS3 so Xavier, the developer had to think about one) !

But then, if one wants to add probability per step, gate length, etc ... besides the horrendous complexity to develop, the interface's real estate is a big problem.
But, hey, only a developer, which i am not, knows the actual challenges, i guess.

BTW, though VoMo is 100 times more versatile, this synth has a real personality.
Pardon my shamelessness and slight thread derivation, but if you have time check this track i made with just the XILS3 and a bit of Valhalla reverb, nothing else.

https://soundcloud.com/paul-mahoux/sil3 ... -roleplays
xuoham

Post by xuoham »

x1.png
x1.png (992.67 KiB) Viewed 4441 times
xuoham

Post by xuoham »

Sorry, the site won't let me post two attachments in one shot.
x2.png
x2.png (659.11 KiB) Viewed 4441 times
xuoham

Post by xuoham »

128 steps ... already hard not to feel cramped !
That's already a whopping 8 bars of 4/4 time with a 16th note resolution

Personally, so far, besides special stuff like euclidean sequencing, for long sequences, i find myself preferring by a large margin the possibilities of Live 10 with included MaxMSP.

Fortunately, VoMo is really smoothly integrated as a VST and i am surprised at how well it behaves embedded as a VST.
Ian Craig

Post by Ian Craig »

Great track Paul. I left a comment but it seems to have disappeared.
I have had XILS 3 & 4 for about 5 years, but haven't done anything with them as I can't see well enough to grasp anything really.
Also, my previous point about the control I found in the 32 step sequencer in that preset from the Mixcraft forum was about the fact that it has multiple ways of controlling blocks of notes within the sequence, but primarily the ability to start and stop each block and control it separately. That is like gold dust for note sequence and fx building within sequences.
As regards 128 step sequences check out this sequence solo in this section of this track if you want to grasp what I'm pushing towards here. It is primarily note pattern building https://youtu.be/Yq8ZVgfG_TM?t=564
2TB SSD etc, 40GB RAM,
Windows 10 Professional
xuoham

Post by xuoham »

Ian, thank you for your time and the comment. It's there, i could read it ! ^ ^

Ok, i checked the patch from Anorax.
It was interesting on many levels.

First, i didn't know VM ignite was included with Mixcraft.
Then i was surprised how neat the preset is and how much effort Anorax put into the explanations.
I liked the choking of each 8 steps seq. idea with the amp.
It seems to me the guy is mostly a "user", like us, and not a "programmer". Just
efforts and logic thinking, trying to customize stuff for one's needs. There;s always an unexpected problem one didn't think about before stsrting the project.
It reminds me all the time i spent with Reaktor or Bidule, trying to make sequencers with shift-able and re-un-shift-able start point (my obsession, to make variations out of 16 steps :mrgreen: ).
Not knowing much in the beginning but using motivation and logic thinking.
But the big difference was that with Reaktor or Bibule one can make parent groups and GUI real estate is not a problem. A modular synth is fun because it remains relatively simple and down to earth compared to modular environments Reaktor etc, or modular DAWs, Live, Bitwig ...
There are quite a few yummy looking hardware sequencers around, etc...i peek once in a while on Instagram, some seems very ingenious ( Eloquencer, René, ...).
I wish some VoMo developers would try to emulate them.

Of course, maybe (not) we will see the possibility in a future VoMo version to kind of collapse modules while retaining main controls (steps and sliders for the seq) but even though i might be heavy on the space.
This 32 steps sequencer was very informative on how Anorax approached the challenge !
He did a great job ! But all that for a basic sequencer !
No comparison to some sequencers in MaxForLive, very compact and full of features, randomisation, probability, gate length, etc...

I am sure that Benard would come with some brilliant ideas. His mini sequencers are small and have many features crammed inside.
I always felt that the Cherry Audio sequencer is a bit too bulky for what it does. Yes, this is an ungrateful comment, as i love VoMo and Cherry Audio rocks !

Anyway, thanks for sharing all this.

Cheers

edit: oh, btw, you seem to have a pretty ballsy PC !
.... Gosh ! Nice contrast with the Behringer UMC, that does a great job, nonetheless.
Ian Craig

Post by Ian Craig »

I only got the Behringer at the weekend as the 5 year old 1st generation Focusrite Scarlett 18|8 wouldn't stop switching off and needing reset. It cost 10 times more than the Behringer (who's main problem was having to track down the driver as they removed it from their website and only have drivers for the more expensive models now. I was out of spare cash, so it seemed like the obvious choice and it works great. I already had the Magix low latency driver that comes with Sound Forge which let's it work fine anyway, so all good so far :)
2TB SSD etc, 40GB RAM,
Windows 10 Professional

Return to “Voltage Modular”