Sync Play doesn´t work in my Bitwig setup

For discussion of the Voltage Modular synthesis ecosystem.
Cubehog

Sync Play doesn´t work in my Bitwig setup

Post by Cubehog »

Hi VM-Team and VM-Users,

I try to synchronize the sequencer to the bitwig audio engine as a plug-in in .vst3-format.

There´s seems to be no reaction when I hit the space bar on my keyboard of the play button. A clumsy workaround for me is to pull a gate signal from the upper left module and let the sequencer(s) start with a note-on message. The stop message does work.

The bigger problem for me is the unpredictable behavior of the syncing with Bitwig. It is not reliable and there´s no fixes margin of a lag, so I can compensate. Also when I record the audio to another track there´s always a delay much more then my soundcard buffer which varies in size.

Also midi out doesn´t seem to be recognized.

The sound I can come up with totally suits to my taste and the work in VM itself is very enjoyable and satisfying but this missing sync stuff is a bit of a drag.

I use Bitwig 3.0.3 and VM 1.3.16. Both the latest versions. Does someone else have these problems? Is there a way to fix this?

Thank you for your input in advance.

Happy musicmaking.
Cubehog

Re: Sync Play doesn´t work in my Bitwig setup

Post by Cubehog »

If I start at 1.1.1 everything is fine. But when I start in the middle of a song the sync play doesn´t react.

No other seq instrument in Bitwig behaves like that. I use Geist2 and it follows the song.
schoekah

Post by schoekah »

Hi,
I probably don't have the know-how to answer your question, but it doesn't seem like you're giving people enough info.
What modules are you using to sync?
What i/o jacks are you using?
are you using reset jacks on modules?
are you using modules like "MIDI input" ?
what things have you tried that haven't worked, including all relevant modules and jacks?

(I seem to recall that cherry mitch had some thoughts on the subject somewhere in the first third of this 94 page thread. .)
https://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopi ... 06a55aa36c
Cubehog

Post by Cubehog »

Thank you for your response.

I´ve tested the sync in 3 other DAWs (Ableton Live, Reaper, Renoise) and they all responded to Start/Stop as they should. Everything fine with these programs
So it seems to be a specific problem with the interaction of Bitwig and VM. It would be great if there wasn´t any obstacle using both in tandem, but I´ll probably switch back to Live. The only thing I will really miss is MPE.

And I will post my findings in the Bitwig Q&A. Maybe someone has found a solution.
Cubehog

Post by Cubehog »

https://ibb.co/GHMCTXZ

That´s it. Just one option to de-click and it works like a charm. The picture shows my settings that make it work.

In the Interface-options there´s one thing you need to de-click. It´s called

"Delay Play Trigger and Gate Until Measure Boundary".

Maybe it does help someone, even though I´ve forum-talked to myself :)
Ian Craig

Post by Ian Craig »

It's useful information to be able to reference, as I'm looking to change from Mixcraft and I would have been put off looking at Bitwig if you hadn't easily found the solution. So thanks. :)
AMD Ryzen 8 Core 3.0 GHz,
2TB SSD etc, 40GB RAM,
Windows 10 Professional
Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 (Audio Interface)
Mixcraft 7,8 (& sometimes 9) Pro Studio
schoekah

Post by schoekah »

thanks much for posting your solution!
xones2358

Post by xones2358 »

a quick thank you from me too!

that issue was driving me crazy for quite a while and i feel lucky to have discovered your thread. ;)
haslo

Post by haslo »

Cubehog wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 7:17 am https://ibb.co/GHMCTXZ

That´s it. Just one option to de-click and it works like a charm. The picture shows my settings that make it work.

In the Interface-options there´s one thing you need to de-click. It´s called

"Delay Play Trigger and Gate Until Measure Boundary".

Maybe it does help someone, even though I´ve forum-talked to myself :)
That'll immediately send a start trigger to VM indeed when I push "play" in Bitwig, but it will result in the sync signal being ... out of sync with the host. So this doesn't really work for me in most cases (I like to generate stuff inside Voltage Modular).

I wonder whether that's an issue on the Voltage Modular side (not interpreting Bitwig's signals correctly) or on Bitwig's side (not sending the correct signals)?

Return to “Voltage Modular”