A cosmetic request

For discussion of the Voltage Modular synthesis ecosystem.
xuoham

A cosmetic request

Post by xuoham »

Would it be possible to change the saturation of colors of the G.U.I ?

I know it's a bit of a superficial request but i think VM could look way cooler with less flashy colors.
Or even black and white, VCV Rack style.

Of course, abusing would be asking for color replacement, but since this is being decided for each module in the designer, i guess it's impossible.

Unless one can change the color of a module in the designer, even though it's locked. :oops:

Or would it be possible to apply a color filter ?

Anyway, i an sure that you guys have much more important things to do, but at least this wish does not stay unexpressed. :)
cherryaudio Greg
Site Admin

Re: A cosmetic request

Post by cherryaudio Greg »

Hi,

Have you played around with the different cabinet themes in Interface settings?

Greg
nekomatic

Post by nekomatic »

I have tried once to compare VCV Rack to the VM - I was under impression that VCV Rack oscillators produce nicer sound but when I closed my eyes I coudn't tell anymore.
I think this may be related to the McGurk Effect. Whatever audio plugin we use it will always sound better if it has a pretty UI :)
Please don't forget VCV Rack is rather heavy on graphic resources, it will not run if your machine does not support certain version of OpenGL.
xuoham

Post by xuoham »

cherryaudio Greg wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 4:11 pm Hi,

Have you played around with the different cabinet themes in Interface settings?

Greg
I am talking about the modules colour. Unless i missed something i don't think the cabinet themes change the modules colour.

Thanks anyway !

@Nekomatic : yes, the McGurk effect, so true !

But my request has more to do with looking good when making a short video and also EYE FATIGUE, on the long run.

Please check this desaturated picture of the GUI, isn't it much kinder to the eyes, besides looking great ?
Even the black and whtie is nice, imo. Atari/Pro24 style ! :D (for guys of my jurassic generation)
Attachments
1VMDesat.jpg
1VMDesat.jpg (544.95 KiB) Viewed 4793 times
xuoham

Post by xuoham »

B&W
Attachments
2VMBW.jpg
2VMBW.jpg (398.68 KiB) Viewed 4790 times
schoekah

Post by schoekah »

Not trying to argue, but just going on the record so that the folks at Cherry can see that at least one person (me) likes the colors. I think it's nicer than VCV Rack, and a nice interface makes it more enjoyable for me to endure the experimentation and failure that I get when patching. It's one of the things that I couldn't stand about Reaper DAW, and liked when moving to Ableton.

Don't forget about the color settings that can be changed in your OS, like night mode in Win 10. Most monitors have color presets for things like night mode, accessible through the monitor buttons, and Windows has high contrast accessibility features (which can then be dimmed). There's also programs like f.lux, which I run 24/7 anyhow (maybe this is why I like the colors - they're muted for me in night mode and f.lux, depending on which computer that I'm using) Best wishes!

Oh yeah, don't forget that OpenGL can be turned on or off in Settings/CPU, night mode is a snap to turn on in win 10 via quick panel (or something) down by the clock.

"CTRL + Windows Key + C, you'll go back to grayscale."
windows/color filter
xuoham

Post by xuoham »

Thanks , i didn't know that !
Will try. :)
Ian Craig

Post by Ian Craig »

schoekah wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 2:41 am Not trying to argue, but just going on the record so that the folks at Cherry can see that at least one person (me) likes the colors. I think it's nicer than VCV Rack, and a nice interface makes it more enjoyable for me to endure the experimentation and failure that I get when patching. It's one of the things that I couldn't stand about Reaper DAW, and liked when moving to Ableton.

I totally agree. The colours are great (apart from the LEDs on the red sequencers etc, which are practically invisible), VCV Rack looks totally uninspiring & Reaper is hideous, although I'm not a big fan of the look of Ableton, or the look of the Beta of Mixcraft 9 (I cannot look at white on black for long, it does not work for bad eye latency adjustment i.e. when the irises don't react fast enough, as it rapidly becomes blinding). I may have to switch from Mixcraft to Studio One as the beta Mixcraft 9 has practically no developments from Mixcraft 8, just a few 'fixes' that don't justify a new version presentation. After 3 years since 8 came out, it looks like a few tweaks and a bad colour change not a new version. Still, at least the development effort hasn't been wasted, as it appears to have migrated over to Voltage Modular which is a joy to use. It just means I'll have to grab Studio One before the price goes back up to prohibitive cost levels again next month. (Well, that's got that off my chest anyway).
AMD Ryzen 8 Core 3.0 GHz,
2TB SSD etc, 40GB RAM,
Windows 10 Professional
Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 (Audio Interface)
Mixcraft 7,8 (& sometimes 9) Pro Studio
schoekah

Post by schoekah »

re presonus, if you're not in a hurry I'd wait for black friday. . . they've been known to have a half-price sale. check the folks keeping track of the deals at:
- kvr sell&buy/bargains no chat
- reddit.com/r/audioproductiondeals/new

they'll tip you off when places like jrrshop offer it on the cheap.
don't forget about the crossgrade option. looks like with your mixcraft lic you can get that for half right now. . .
https://shop.presonus.com/Studio-One-4-Crossgrade
Ian Craig

Post by Ian Craig »

schoekah wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 5:56 pm re presonus, if you're not in a hurry I'd wait for black friday. . . they've been known to have a half-price sale. check the folks keeping track of the deals at:
- kvr sell&buy/bargains no chat
- reddit.com/r/audioproductiondeals/new

they'll tip you off when places like jrrshop offer it on the cheap.
don't forget about the crossgrade option. looks like with your mixcraft lic you can get that for half right now. . .
https://shop.presonus.com/Studio-One-4-Crossgrade

Yeah, thanks for the extra info. I had the plugin boutique links, which also equal 50% off the full price :)
https://www.pluginboutique.com/product/ ... y-Artist-
https://www.pluginboutique.com/product/ ... om-any-DAW
AMD Ryzen 8 Core 3.0 GHz,
2TB SSD etc, 40GB RAM,
Windows 10 Professional
Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 (Audio Interface)
Mixcraft 7,8 (& sometimes 9) Pro Studio

Return to “Voltage Modular”