How can I chain patterns?

For discussion of the Voltage Modular synthesis ecosystem.
Ian Craig

Re: How can I chain patterns?

Post by Ian Craig »

cherryMitch wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:28 pm Would you guys prefer this idea or would you just want a basic sequencer with a zillionty steps?

It sounds like a reasonable start point, as the buttons could be boxes that note names could entered into. The 2 important things to me are
(1) being able to see editable values quickly that enable easy mental mapping of notes & to see where pattern modifications can be improvised on the fly.
(2 - & more closely following your suggested way) being able to clearly see as many of the pattern's notes at once as possible, which, like the drum trigger sequencer, could show, for example, 4 rows above each other with 16 little boxes that display A#3 or some other note in each box. Thanks for attempting to help out our sick desires :lol:
AMD Ryzen 8 Core 3.0 GHz,
2TB SSD etc, 40GB RAM,
Windows 10 Professional
Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 (Audio Interface)
Mixcraft 7,8 (& sometimes 9) Pro Studio
SA2K

Post by SA2K »

I find a worthy addition to Voltage Modular is to have a zillion step sequencer with what's known as step recording input to simplify the sequencing process.
dasmode

Post by dasmode »

Last edited by dasmode on Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
    SA2K

Post by SA2K »

dasmode wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:26 am I got Octagon and 16 step-sequencer on the fall sale. But both are inconvenient for large parties. In my opinion, the perfect sequencer is Matrix from Reason

32 steps, 5 octaves, note speed adjustment, pattern speed adjustment. Quick melody creation. You can move the pattern left-right and up-out. Pattern storage.

But not song mode.

matrix.jpg
    The issue with copying the matrix sequencer is that step record is an always useful thing in addition I just add.

It would be wonderful for cherry audio to add an s&h module and provide on the forum a special programmable template for in the ballpark of 128 note generative sequencing for the users to customize.

Also mentionable is that it is a good idea to provide a snapshot module for Voltage in the future with 16 recallable preset's for any module or a series of modules with a cv input to alternate through the 16 preset's.

How about a even say snapshot's with a morph parameter unit addition to morph parameters with the snapshot tool from one to the next that can also be automated. You really need the gamut of options to avoid too much repetition in a song if you want a perfect Voltage Modular.
    Ian Craig

Post by Ian Craig »

SA2K wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 5:13 am I find a worthy addition to Voltage Modular is to have a zillion step sequencer with what's known as step recording input to simplify the sequencing process.

Yes, I forgot to mention that, (possibly also an on screen keyboard module) for sequential note input via mouse or midi keyboard :)
    2TB SSD etc, 40GB RAM,
    Windows 10 Professional
    Ian Craig

Post by Ian Craig »

SA2K wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:43 am Also mentionable is that it is a good idea to provide a snapshot module for Voltage in the future with 16 recallable preset's for any module or a series of modules with a cv input to alternate through the 16 preset's.
    You can save presets by the top option of the right click menu on each module (I use it to save sequences) but I agree, all modules should have CV Input control to switch between the saved presets. Of course, a better depth organisation to the tree structure for the saving and organisation of presets needs to be created too (it's all single layer) :D
    SA2K wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:43 am How about a even say snapshot's with a morph parameter unit addition to morph parameters with the snapshot tool from one to the next that can also be automated. You really need the gamut of options to avoid too much repetition in a song if you want a perfect Voltage Modular.
    Sounds right to me :)
    2TB SSD etc, 40GB RAM,
    Windows 10 Professional
    sksherman

Post by sksherman »

Newbie here. But, thought it worth mentioning the Toybox Audio Gate Sequencer in their free pack. That and a few other blocks support chain out and chain in. Take the last chain out and hook to the first chain in to loop sequencers. I'm still playing with this, but may try including a Reaktor instance in a Voltage Modular Plug-In Host with some Toybox blocks that include chained sequences. Would like to see this kind of chaining in Voltage Modular.

Edit: I love the patch posted by Cherry Mitch, BTW. I plan to use what I learn from that to handle long sequencers. Thanks! :)
    sksherman

Post by sksherman »

Okay, I could NOT let this rest. So, I developed a preset that demonstrates another way to chain sequencers. This approach is virtually unlimited and quite flexible because it does a true pass of control from one sequencer to the next. You sacrifice the last step on each. So, this is a 14-step sequencer example, using the last step of each for the chain support.
    14-Step Chain Sequence.voltagepreset
    14-Step Chain Sequence
    (17.45 KiB) Downloaded 202 times
    Ian Craig

Post by Ian Craig »

sksherman wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 2:33 am Okay, I could NOT let this rest. So, I developed a preset that demonstrates another way to chain sequencers. This approach is virtually unlimited and quite flexible because it does a true pass of control from one sequencer to the next. You sacrifice the last step on each. So, this is a 14-step sequencer example, using the last step of each for the chain support.

14-Step Chain Sequence.voltagepreset

It hadn't occurred to me that the Threshold module could do that, though I now see the documentation makes mention of it. I wouldn't have noticed without your preset (due to large number in the bundles going well beyond the amount of info that could be understood at once). Thanks :D
    2TB SSD etc, 40GB RAM,
    Windows 10 Professional
    sksherman

Post by sksherman »

Most welcome!

BTW, I found some instability with resetting the first sequencer in the example. I solved that by routing the gate out from the threshold attached to the second sequencer to both the start and the reset of the first sequencer.

The overall trick here, of course, is to have the last step of a sequencer output 5V, which the threhold can sense and take action on. Near as I can tell, this approach should work with pretty much any sequencer. So, one could chain a number of different kinds of sequencers, even with different clocks and numbers of steps. Going a bit further, it may even be feasible to support multiple branches of sequencers, looping back to the root. All kinds of crazy stuff.

Liberating. :D

Return to “Voltage Modular”