How can I chain patterns?

For discussion of the Voltage Modular synthesis ecosystem.
SA2K

How can I chain patterns?

Post by SA2K »

I want to chain 8-16 step patterns with the sequencers to do up to 128 steps or more in my sequences. Can someone provide a patch that demonstrates the pattern chaining technique?

Thanks for your assistance.
dasmode

Re: How can I chain patterns?

Post by dasmode »

Last edited by dasmode on Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
    Ian Craig

Post by Ian Craig »

It would be much simpler if someone designed a 128 step sequencer with very narrow sliders for each step, so that the whole thing could be displayed in one cabinet (or alternatively 128 editable boxes which recognised either quantised values, or CV values via a switch).
    As I said on the other thread I linked up 6 - 16 step sequencers (for 96 steps, the easiest & clearest way of getting it done, due to the 6 jack limit). IT TOOK HOURS to get it to work. I just randomly dragged the sliders to get the step variables, as it is a good start point. I have already made some interesting variables out of this
    96 sequence steps.voltagepreset
    (69.76 KiB) Downloaded 200 times

Here is a slightly more experimental version of it also using 2 of BendeDavis's modules
    96 sequence steps 2a1.voltagepreset
    (77.64 KiB) Downloaded 191 times
    AMD Ryzen 8 Core 3.0 GHz,
    2TB SSD etc, 40GB RAM,
    Windows 10 Professional
    Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 (Audio Interface)
    Mixcraft 7,8 (& sometimes 9) Pro Studio
    SA2K

Post by SA2K »

Ian Craig wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:46 am It would be much simpler if someone designed a 128 step sequencer with very narrow sliders for each step, so that the whole thing could be displayed in one cabinet (or alternatively 128 editable boxes which recognised either quantised values, or CV values via a switch).
    As I said on the other thread I linked up 6 - 16 step sequencers (for 96 steps, the easiest & clearest way of getting it done, due to the 6 jack limit). IT TOOK HOURS to get it to work. I just randomly dragged the sliders to get the step variables, as it is a good start point. I have already made some interesting variables out of this
    96 sequence steps.voltagepreset
    Here is a slightly more experimental version of it also using 2 of BendeDavis's modules
    96 sequence steps 2a1.voltagepreset
    Excellent. I'm in the midst of big projects now so I can't get to the patches yet but I will. It would be good to get official help direct from Cherry Audio about chaining patterns, as unlimited steps in patterns are common sense programming features for a modular to have.

Something like 256 steps is available already on VCV Rack through their NoteSeq module. It makes no sense Voltage Modular can't do 256 steps if it can't.
    Ian Craig

Post by Ian Craig »

SA2K wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:42 pm It would be good to get official help direct from Cherry Audio about chaining patterns, as unlimited steps in patterns are common sense programming features for a modular to have.
    Something like 256 steps is available already on VCV Rack through their NoteSeq module. It makes no sense Voltage Modular can't do 256 steps if it can't.

Yeah, It is obvious to me too, (though I didn't know that about VCV Rack). :)
    2TB SSD etc, 40GB RAM,
    Windows 10 Professional
    cherryMitch

Post by cherryMitch »

Hey all, Cherry Mitch here. I took this on prior to reading the other forum entries (and the linked prev discussion)... you're all basically on the right track.

The first thing comes to mind is “buy Octagon.” It can do up to 32 steps and each “step” can have up to 8 trigger notes (with the caveat that all notes on a given step must be the same pitch). But that’s really just the tip of the iceberg; Octagon does a LOT of stuff, and depending on the nature on the sequence, you can do things that would take many steps with a normal sequencer using just a few steps in Octagon. We designed it to have 32 steps, but in using it, I rarely use more than few steps because of its massive flexibility. 

That said, Octagon won't solve your problem is you want a different note output on every step. I took a stab at chaining four 16-step sequencers, and though it's a little convoluted, it only took about 15 minutes to get it working! :) I added a bunch of labels to the modules to hopefully clarify what's going on. I also "multed" buttons for play and stop in the Perf Control panel, so make sure you have that guy visible (yellow PERFORM button at the top).

There's probably four other ways to make this happen, and maybe there's a simpler way; I'll have to ponder it.

As mentioned, long sequences would be immensely easier with a single module with many steps. It didn't occur to me that someone might want something that large, but I suppose we could make a seq module like that (or perhaps a third-party will). I suppose it would have to be relatively simple, feature-wise, or else the module size would be insane.

128-step VM patch:
    128-Step Seq.voltagepreset
    (28.14 KiB) Downloaded 238 times
    SA2K

Post by SA2K »

Sweet patch and response. Looking forward to getting into it soon. The mult idea is fantastic. Now I just need Five 12 Numerology to tell me how to chain their patterns in that app. I use Five 12/VCV Rack and Cherry but only made Five12 stuff so far because I am really waiting for VCV Rack 2.0 and it's plugin version and feel like being lazy with Voltage right now. Voltage Modular reminds me a lot of a much more sophisticated version of the Nord Modular G2 that no longer is being sold. I made tons of patches on it years ago. If I have more questions I'll ask thanks much.
    cherryMitch

Post by cherryMitch »

Thanks... even though Voltage has the "built-in" six-way mults on the jacks, I often use actual mult modules because it helps make it easier to understand what's going on in a complex patch.
    Ian Craig

Post by Ian Craig »

That's a great patch for understanding certain things Mitch, thanks. However, it's only 64 steps so I used 4 32-step Octagons to make 128 steps (I randomised the values from the root notes).
    actual 128-Step Seq with octagons.voltagepreset
    (49.9 KiB) Downloaded 224 times
    I also made a video which shows it's use in a piece
    https://youtu.be/lNuHPUAPAuM :D
    2TB SSD etc, 40GB RAM,
    Windows 10 Professional
    cherryMitch

Post by cherryMitch »

While we have your attention... I was talking about this idea of a sequencer with many steps with one of the programmers, and he suggested that we might make a seq module similar in concept to the Misfit Drum Trigger sequencer, which has 16-step patterns, but allows very easy storage of up to 32 patterns, plus a song mode where up to 99 patterns can be chained. I'm not a big fan of modules with teeny-tiny hard to see/use controls, and it would seem that this would be a lot easier to use for a number of reasons. The only real drawback (as opposed a zillion-sliders-in-a-row sequencer) would be that you couldn't immediately see and manipulate all notes from a single view.

Would you guys prefer this idea or would you just want a basic sequencer with a zillionty steps?

Return to “Voltage Modular”