New to Modular - Breaking down Module Design

For discussion of the Voltage Modular synthesis ecosystem.
Ongey

New to Modular - Breaking down Module Design

Post by Ongey »

Hi folks, I'm new to all this, I come in mainly from an amateur composer rather than sound designer point of view. But I'm very keen to learn, and have acquainted myself with the basics of modular synthesis.

It's slow-going, but I've used the help to learn about the various modules, and also have been deconstructing presets, using a UML diagramming tool called PlantUML - I think this visual representation of modules (boxes with arrows) would be useful, as the cabinet racks do tend to get rather cluttered (but hey, it's emulating modular synthesisers of old I guess).

For example, I've deconstructed the 'Bottle' patch to discover it's three constituent sounds (I think).

Any hints and tips on how to learn more about formulating different sounds would be most welcome! And I'm a Java developer, so I guess one day I'd want to dabble in creating my own module. Looking forward to it!
JackJackdaw

Re: New to Modular - Breaking down Module Design

Post by JackJackdaw »

I’m not sure if you are talking about designing modules (coding) or designing patches. I know nothing about the former but as for sound design , I think modular can look crazy complicated because of all the wires going everywhere but the concepts are fairly simple. I break it down to two parts. 1. Shaping the sound. - Controlling the things that make noise, 2. Changing the shape over time - Manipulating Control Voltage to automate the changing of parameters.

A good starting point is building a basic subtractive synth and adding more oscillators and modulation sources as you go.
DarkStar

Re: New to Modular - Breaking down Module Design

Post by DarkStar »

MAybe:

Image >>> https://i.imgur.com/EuSUF4h.png

Meanwhile, this is somewhat related: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=691
DarkStar ... interesting, if true. // Inspired by ...

Return to “Voltage Modular”