Is there a way to hard-sync the Sampler modules?

For discussion of the Voltage Modular synthesis ecosystem.
wavemechanic

Is there a way to hard-sync the Sampler modules?

Post by wavemechanic »

Many OSC modules in Voltage offer hard-sync. Is there a way I can reproduce this effect with one Sampler hard-syncing to another, or am I restricted to using Sampler as a source feeding the hard-sync of one of the OSCs that offer hard-sync?
Cherry Dan
Site Admin

Re: Is there a way to hard-sync the Sampler modules?

Post by Cherry Dan »

wavemechanic wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:50 am Many OSC modules in Voltage offer hard-sync. Is there a way I can reproduce this effect with one Sampler hard-syncing to another, or am I restricted to using Sampler as a source feeding the hard-sync of one of the OSCs that offer hard-sync?
When Trigger Mode is set to Normal, a trigger signal coming in to the Gate input will cause the sampler to reset.

So, plugging an oscillator into the Gate input and setting Trigger Mode to Normal will act exactly as a hard-sync. I tried it and you can get some killer sounds this way!

Dan
wavemechanic

Post by wavemechanic »

Thank you, Dan! The reason I asked is that I got my hands on the original waveforms from the SQ80/ESQ1 and was wanting to emulate all the routing options of the ESQ1, which I have a soft spot for. This means that I can sync OSC1 to OSC2 just like the original synth, which is sweet. Using similar methods, I can recreate other early synths I had. I'm really hoping next/prev sample buttons can be added to the sampler modules. If I can reach a point where I'm happy with this approach, I might release the presets at some point.
wavemechanic

Post by wavemechanic »

I tested this out. It worked great. Thank you! Wish I'd thought of it, but I'm still acclimating to the modular world.

My understanding of hard sync is that the waveform or sample in this case resets each time the sending waveform crosses into the positive phase position. If that's true (pardon if this is a silly question), why does changing the sending waveform's gain change the resulting sound? I ask, because the zero points of the waveform remain the same at all gain levels while the peaks expand and contract. I've searched online for deeper insight into hard sync behavior with variable input gain, but the question is too esoteric.

Return to “Voltage Modular”