clicks when using VSTi synth in the plugin-host?

For discussion of the Voltage Modular synthesis ecosystem.
sincostan

clicks when using VSTi synth in the plugin-host?

Post by sincostan »

I tried VSTis the first time with voltage modular. Unfortunately I doesn't work without clicks.
I used a cv to midi device. I routed the midi into the plugin-host, which had a VSTi synth loaded.

I tried also all buffer settings in the plugin-host. It seems to crackle mostly when a note is started or stopped. Not in the sustain.

I'm pretty sure it's not because of some low buffer setting or my computer, everything else works fine even at high load. I have also no clicks when using only voltage modular modules. It's just VSTis. Unfortunately VSTis are unusable at the moment for me in voltage modular because of the crackle or clicks.

Have anybody noticed something similar? Maybe I miss something?
sincostan

Re: clicks when using VSTi synth in the plugin-host?

Post by sincostan »

I just tried very high buffer like 1024 in voltage modular. Seems to remove most of the clicks. But I'm wondering why I have zero problems otherwise even at 128 samples ASIO buffer even at high load?

And using VSTi at 1024 sample buffer is a bit too high latency for me.
sincostan

Post by sincostan »

Unfortunately even with 1024 I get sometimes clicks.

Loading voltage modular inside my host as a VSTi and use VSTi inside voltage modular is even a big problem. I can't use 1024 in my host, because I record there too.

By the way, I use 128 in my host usually in pretty big project.

I would love to get some opinions about this, because using VSTi seems not really possible at the moment.
Ian Craig

Post by Ian Craig »

I also find the Host useless even at the highest settings. If I run a clocked sequencer from a trigger counter sending key change information periodically to a second sequencer it freezes as soon as the first one changes the key of the second one's output. So it's useless for me as I am trying to build complex multi-sequence bits of music and it won't let me do even one layer. So I'd say the Plugin Host needs remade.
AMD Ryzen 8 Core 3.0 GHz,
2TB SSD etc, 40GB RAM,
Windows 10 Professional
Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 (Audio Interface)
Mixcraft 7,8 (& sometimes 9) Pro Studio
sincostan

Post by sincostan »

Thanks for confirming my observation. Is Cherry audio reading here or is it required to write a bug report by email?
cherryaudio Greg
Site Admin

Post by cherryaudio Greg »

Hi,

You can try experimenting with Voltage Modular's CPU settings. Does it happen if you have multi-thread selected or de-selected? Does it happen if you toggle the OpenGL option?

Greg
sincostan

Post by sincostan »

Multicore on/off doesn't seem to make a difference.
It's difficult to say exactly, but disabling openGL seems like a bit less clicks. But not night and day.

I noticed that I sometimes get less clicks when I minimize the voltage modlar window to the task bar (Windows 10), so that I don't see the interface. But it's kind of sporadically and not a 0 or 1 thing.

I noticed that for voltage modular with VSTi it seems to make a big difference if the CPU clocks up or down. I pinned the CPU clock to have always 100% (Windows 10 advanced energy settings). This reduces the clicks a lot, but I still get some with 256 ASIO buffer.

At the same time I had not the slightest problem in Ableton Live at this buffer with a lot VSTi plugins loaded, even with dynamic CPU clock and also not with just internal modules in voltage modular.

Happy to provide more information if it's helpful.
sincostan

Post by sincostan »

By the way, just found viewtopic.php?f=8&t=661 - seems like a very simillar problem.
sincostan

Post by sincostan »

push

I still can't use vsts in VM without getting crackling. I think this topic needs more attention.
xones2358

Post by xones2358 »

hi all - basic use of VST host works pretty well, but as soon as I start modulating a parameter with let*s say an LFO, there is a bad crackle/lag in sound upon opening the actual plugins interface - this is annoying and I hope it get's adressed in not too distant future.

Return to “Voltage Modular”