Sampler question

For discussion of the Voltage Modular synthesis ecosystem.
Demious

Sampler question

Post by Demious »

Ive been trying out the sampler, but its not working together with the rest of the preset. The speed of the playback changes with pitch increase or decrease, which makes the rythm of the sample go out of sync with the rythm of the modulation of the rest of the sound. Im not familiar with 80s samplers, but to me this seems like a bug...
Is this normal behaviour? And if so, is there a way to keep the speed of rythm patterns of samples in sync with the rythm of the sounds from other sources?

Cheers!
Maarten
martb

Re: Sampler question

Post by martb »

Demious wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:34 am Ive been trying out the sampler, but its not working together with the rest of the preset. The speed of the playback changes with pitch increase or decrease, which makes the rythm of the sample go out of sync with the rythm of the modulation of the rest of the sound. Im not familiar with 80s samplers, but to me this seems like a bug...
Is this normal behaviour? And if so, is there a way to keep the speed of rythm patterns of samples in sync with the rythm of the sounds from other sources?
That is definitely normal behaviour - not a bug. You could combine the sampler with the PSP nitroPitch module to achieve what you want. It works well for me :)
nekomatic

Post by nekomatic »

You may also try the Freezer from the Vocoder Bundle
It only handles somewhere around 6.4 sec but may produce quite interesting results.
Demious

Post by Demious »

Thanks guys! Im used to EXS and Kontakt and mostly to reproduce classical instruments, so I already had a feeling this was different from what Im used to.

@Nekomatic For now I'm after the basic sound of the samples. I already dug a pit a couple of times by wanting too much too soon, but I'll definately keep this in mind. There are so many interesting things to discover, but since this is all new to me, I really have to be careful not to take on too much at once. ;)
JackJackdaw

Post by JackJackdaw »

A basic sampler acts like tape. You play it faster and the pitch increases. The samplers you are used to will have time stretching algorithms that allow you to change the pitch but maintain a constant playback speed.
martb

Post by martb »

JackJackdaw wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:12 am A basic sampler acts like tape. You play it faster and the pitch increases. The samplers you are used to will have time stretching algorithms that allow you to change the pitch but maintain a constant playback speed.
In addition most Kontakt or EXS instruments will have multiple samples across the keyboard. The VM sampler modules only load a single sample, of course.

Return to “Voltage Modular”