Favorite cable color rotation

For discussion of the Voltage Modular synthesis ecosystem.
Niowiad

Favorite cable color rotation

Post by Niowiad »

Hello. It has been a few days since I jumped on the VoltageModular train and I'm quite happy I did.
Congrats on this very cool piece of software, the ergonomic features and DAW integration are beautiful :o

I'd like to make a little feature request concerning the colors of cables.
I'm keeping max-opacity and cable thickness at 0.6, which is not too thin after all, and with the "random" color rotation I'm getting a fair amount of dark cable colors which are not as easy to see as brighter colors.
I then ditched "random" and set them all to bright yellow, which is indeed very visible, but all in the same color makes patching a little confusing (I realize you can change color at any time after you place the cable, but it's not the best thing for workflow having to do that most of the times).

The ideal solution at least in my opinion would be the ability to restrict the color palette to some user defined "favorite colors" which take part in the customized rotation for every new cable. In my case I'd personally just have 4-5 bright ones in the rotation (kind of what you usually see in modular hardware by the way).

Something like this, just a thought...

Left-click on a color works as it currently does.
Right-click on a color could give the ability to add to the favorite color rotation.

In my opinion it would be a small feature which could improve workflow and visibility to a great extent.

Thank you.
khapahk1956

Re: Favorite cable color rotation

Post by khapahk1956 »

Great idea, gets my vote !
JackOats

Post by JackOats »

Me too!
iMac 27/Catalina/3.5 GBh Intel Core i7/16 GB Ram/3 TB HD
The masculine includes the feminine (Guys)
Google: 'JackOats' to see my Soundcloud page, 'Brian Watterson - Vimeo' for my Videos.
TR4

Post by TR4 »

Super idea, I really like it! I've just started playing with VM and find I'm getting lost with the darker random colours and frustrated with the Set Cable context menu opening at differing locations.

Some of my thoughts:

Maybe have a button on the toolbar that could contain four favourite swatches for quick access

-

Or have 10 custom slots (right-clicking a slot shows the colour picker)

And have those 10 slots bound to keyboard shortcuts 0-9!
ColinP

Post by ColinP »

I'm one of the developers here and made the following suggestion a while ago...

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1379

This would make cables automatically default to standard colors based on their purpose, yet still allow users to choose their own colors
StevenMikel

Post by StevenMikel »

ColinP wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 8:07 pm I'm one of the developers here and made the following suggestion a while ago...

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1379

This would make cables automatically default to standard colors based on their purpose, yet still allow users to choose their own colors
+1
xuoham

Post by xuoham »

Great ideas and suggestions.

edit: i just saw Colin P's post, sorry, i was basically wishing the same below.

blablablablabla .....
Last edited by xuoham on Mon Mar 01, 2021 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Steve W

Post by Steve W »

ColinP wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 8:07 pm I'm one of the developers here and made the following suggestion a while ago...

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1379

I already replied in your thread since I saw that first. I might be wrong, but your reply here is different than what I initially thought you replied in December. Here, it seems you are advocating for standard colors based on their purpose as a default.
ColinP

Post by ColinP »

By default if people opt in by clicking on the RECOMMENDED button.

Return to “Voltage Modular”