(Newbe Question) Audio signal into Voltage in Studio One

For discussion of the Voltage Modular synthesis ecosystem.
Demious

(Newbe Question) Audio signal into Voltage in Studio One

Post by Demious »

Im new here, so let me start by saying hello.
Hello everyone!

Im totally new to Voltage and modular synthesis and Im working throught the videos on this site to get started, but Im having a problem with the Audio In From Host function.
I found in the manual that I can access the Audio In via side chain, so I created an audio track in Studio One 4, inserted the Voltage Modular FX, assigned a recorded track to the side chain of the Voltage FX from a send on the recorded track and... nothing happens. There's no input signal.
The manual doesnt give any further information, but it seems Im missing something here. Could someone please advise me on how to get this working?

Cheers!
Maarten
Last edited by Demious on Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cherryMitch

Re: Newbe Question

Post by cherryMitch »

Demious wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 1:52 pm Im new here, so let me start by saying hello.
Hello everyone!

Im totally new to Voltage and modular synthesis and Im working throught the videos on this site to get started, but Im having a problem with the Audio In From Host function.
I found in the manual that I can access the Audio In via side chain, so I created an audio track in Studio One 4, inserted the Voltage Modular FX, assigned a recorded track to the side chain of the Voltage FX from a send on the recorded track and... nothing happens. There's no input signal.
The manual doesnt give any further information, but it seems Im missing something here. Could someone please advise me on how to get this working?

Cheers!
Maarten
I don't think any of us here are Studio One users, so I'm not sure, but it sounds like you're setting it up correctly. You might want to try using Voltage on an instrument track instead of an audio track and see if the same setup works (provided Studio One allows sidechaining into virtual instruments).

The only other thing I can think of is that maybe it doesn't like that you're using a send. If it's possible, try routing directly from the track itself (i.e. select the source audio track in the sidechain input popup).

If none of this works, someone else on our end might be able to figure it out - we'll try to get to the bottom of this! :)
arbuxMusic

Post by arbuxMusic »

Hi Demious,

I'm also new to this, but as a fellow Studio One 4 user, wanted to see if I can assist you. (Note that some of this stuff may be obvious to you: I don't mean to be patronising!)

To start with, I added a couple of instrument tracks and added Voltage Modular FX to the Inserts of the first track side-chaining to the second. (The second has multiple outputs, so I've selected the hats output in this image):

To test the side-chain capabilities, I have routed 2L and 2R in the Audio In from host to the 1L(M) and 1R Main Outs to Host. When I play back the track, I can see audio routing to 2L and 2R:

Some obvious questions:
- Are you seeing Audio In From Host lit up in the second VU meter? If not, this might indicate you have a problem with your send. e.g. if your side-chain channel is at zero volume, you'll need to click on the pre-fader send option:

- Does the side chained channel have any audio in it's VU meter? (Is it possible the side chain channel is not playing)
- If none of the above help, can you post the specifics of your project so I can reproduce it on my side?

Further to the above, I created a main signal + side chain mixer, and both sounds were plaid through the VM FX:

Regards,
arbux
arbuxMusic

Post by arbuxMusic »

cherryMitch wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:23 pm
I don't think any of us here are Studio One users, so I'm not sure, but it sounds like you're setting it up correctly. You might want to try using Voltage on an instrument track instead of an audio track and see if the same setup works (provided Studio One allows sidechaining into virtual instruments).

The only other thing I can think of is that maybe it doesn't like that you're using a send. If it's possible, try routing directly from the track itself (i.e. select the source audio track in the sidechain input popup).

If none of this works, someone else on our end might be able to figure it out - we'll try to get to the bottom of this! :)
I agree with your methodology here but note that Studio One doesn't allow side-chaining into instruments, but does allow side-chaining using the Voltage Modular FX effect.
Demious

Post by Demious »

Thanks for the input guys! I got a whole day of experimenting ahead of and I'll see what I can make of it. :)
Demious

Re:

Post by Demious »

I got both outputs 1L/R and 2L/R working and I got it done using an instrument channel, an FX channel and a bus channel. I'll complete the explanation for the next person who has these problems.

I didnt get any audio signal using Voltage on an insert from an audio track, not from the channel input, nor from any side chain via output or send. So this has to be done using an Instrument, FX, or Bus channel on the Studio One mixer, to route the signal to.

The Audio In From Host has 2 stereo channels, so for the Audio In From Host 1L/R, which uses the channel input as source, there are the following options:
1. Create an FX channel, place Voltage Modular FX in the insert section and route the output from the audio channel to the input of the FX channel.
2. Create a Bus channel, place Voltage Modular FX in the insert section and route the output from the audio channel to the input of the Bus channel.

For Audio In From Host 2L/R, which uses the side chain input as source, it works as follows:
1. Create an instrument track using any random instrument, place Voltage Modular FX on the insert and create a send from the audio channel to the Voltage side chain.
2. Create an FX channel, place Voltage Modular FX on the insert and create a send from the audio channel to the Voltage side chain.
3. Create an Bus channel, place Voltage Modular FX on the insert and create a send from the audio channel to the Voltage side chain.

Using both channel input and side chain options, its even possible to get 2 seperate signals from the same audio channel (or 2 different audio channels) into Voltage.

Big thanks to the guys above, who got me going with this! :D
Last edited by Demious on Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:21 pm, edited 3 times in total.
arbuxMusic

Re: (Newbe Question) Audio signal into Voltage in Studio One

Post by arbuxMusic »

:D Nice work - glad you got it working
farbstoff-fabrik

Re: (Newbe Question) Audio signal into Voltage in Studio One

Post by farbstoff-fabrik »

I have the same problem in FL studio. Can anyone help me out?

Return to “Voltage Modular”