Voltage Module - Midi Out but not pitch bend/mod wheel

For discussion of the Voltage Modular synthesis ecosystem.
arbuxMusic

Voltage Module - Midi Out but not pitch bend/mod wheel

Post by arbuxMusic »

I am working on some Midi-output patches using Voltage Modular for use with Studio One. My goal is to create some arp/movement style patches that drive external VSTs via midi changes.

While doing some testing on the Cherry Audio Midi Out audio module, I was able to get notes played by an external device, but pitch bend and the modulation wheel do not work. I can see the red light flickering on the Midi Out module when the pitch bend / mod wheel is moved, but the note playing in the instrument is unchanged.

The most simple setup to reproduce my isse is:
[MIDI From Host] directly connected to [Midi Out, Midi Channel ALL, Transpose 0, Send To DAW]. The Device status shows Active with the Error LED unlit.

I have a Spire / Omnisphere instance listening to the Voltage Modular Midi Output 1 in Studio One. The loaded instrument plays notes when keyboard keys are pressed, but the pitch bend wheel and Mod Wheels have no effect.

I have also tried using the CV Outs via the CV to MIDI and CV to MIDI CC Converter, but with no effect.

Inserting a VST using the host module works with pitch bend/mod wheel from the Midi In, so this seems to be related to the midi Out module.

A couple of questions:
- Is this expected behaviour and would you have any advice on how to fix the pitch bend and mod wheels to work with Midi Out?
- Is there a way to see the Midi messages being passed to Midi Out (in a similar way to using the Oscilloscope to debug CV/Pitch messages)?

--
Voltage Modular: 1.3.16
Environment: Studio One 4.5.2.53232 Win x64 (Built on Jul 9 2019)
Cherry Dan
Site Admin

Re: Voltage Module - Midi Out but not pitch bend/mod wheel

Post by Cherry Dan »

arbuxMusic,

Since you're on Windows, you can probably select the "Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth" as your MIDI device when using the MIDI Output module. If you can, you'll easily be able to see that pitch bend and mod wheel are indeed transmitted to the MIDI output. The "Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth" is built in to the Windows operating system, though it does unfortunately suffer from very high latency.

So, select the GS synthesizer in the MIDI Output module, route the MIDI FROM HOST input to the MIDI Output module's MIDI IN jack, and play some keys on your MIDI keyboard. You should hear piano notes playing, and you should be able to modulate them with pitch bend and mod wheel. You should see the MIDI IN LED lighting up when you move these wheels as well.

The exception is this: If you've set Voltage Modular up to map the mod wheel or pitch bend wheel to control something else - e.g., mod wheel to control Knob 1 in the Performance Panel - then these MIDI commands will be 'consumed' by the application and won't be passed to the MIDI Output module.

Please let us know if that helps!

Thanks,
Dan
tgrey

Post by tgrey »

Orbeck wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:41 pm I also heard something about modular voltage 2.0. Of all the modular software, Voltage Modular packs the most software-specific power into a Eurorack-style display. Yep, this is virtual – you can’t do that with real hardware. Six jacks were melted in the last version; now, each jack is like an un-fillable wormhole. But frankly, in a screen context, that makes more sense – there’s no need to physically separate a multi-module if you don’t want to, apart from your visualization. Cherry is gradually adding more modules and making new ones make the whole platform more affordable. And if I need any repairs, call the company REMOVED SPAM URL. They have a great team.
This might be the most specific yet technically accurate spam I've seen yet... I'm actually kind of impressed! :lol:
cherryaudio Greg
Site Admin

Post by cherryaudio Greg »

tgrey wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:41 am This might be the most specific yet technically accurate spam I've seen yet... I'm actually kind of impressed! :lol:
Spammers are getting tricky. That text was copied from this review: https://cdm.link/2020/05/cherry-audio-v ... modular-2/

Return to “Voltage Modular”