Surround Output Channels please

For discussion of the Voltage Modular synthesis ecosystem.
nkf

Re: Surround Output Channels please

Post by nkf »

Benard wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 3:02 pm obviously it won't help you if you can't get VM to appear as a multi channel track in Nuendo as you mentioned.
That's only true for FX inserts. Other plug ins like Waves H-Verb or DMG Equilibrium are aware what kind of channel they are inserted and offer the I/O accordingly. That is no tthe case with Voltage. For the use as an instrument I can use all output chennels at once - no problem.
nkf

Post by nkf »

Benard wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 3:15 pm I have a suggestion for Cherry Audio:

I think it would be really useful to have a multichannel output similar to the way that polyphonic modules work, with a single poly cable that would be sent to the host as a multi channel track. This would open up some really interesting possibilities, and would really set VM apart from other platforms. Granted, very few hosts do 16 channel tracks at the moment, and I'm obviously thinking of Reaper as the main target, but this could also work in a number of other hosts that already do multi channel tracks for surround and VR.

If this were implemented it would be possible to make all kinds of spatial processors using 3rd order ambisonics, which could then be easily sent via a single poly cable (using 16 voices) from dedicated modules in VM to Reaper for further processing, mixing, and eventual decoding into binaural or a 3D speaker setup. It would make VM a great tool for working with ambisonics and for generating content for VR and games! The existence of poly cables already provides the potential for a really elegant solution for routing signals from the modules to the host.

I don't know how difficult it would be to implement this, but I think it's definitely worth considering for future versions of VM.
That would work in Nuendo or Cubase if the surround output capability would be implemented. Great idea anyway ...
Benard

Post by Benard »

I have made the demo of the quad panner available individually, in case you want to try it out.

And yes, I see what you mean about Nuendo. I think it should be easily fixable though, if it already works as an instrument, but CA would have to take a look at that. And like I mentioned, in Reaper VM does work properly as a multichannel effect track, but you do have to manually set the track to the right number of channels if you want to have all the outputs on a single track (it also gives you the option to build multiple stereo tracks).
nkf

Post by nkf »

I experimented further ... Voltage Fx inserted int a surround channel doesn't allow to select anything form the other options visible, it is stuck with "Stereo"
Attachments
Volt_Nuen_routing.png
Volt_Nuen_routing.png (23.87 KiB) Viewed 2453 times
nkf

Post by nkf »

I found a way to use Voltage with multichannel outputs as a FX insert with the help of MetaPlugin - it allows to insert instrument VST into FX inserts - > Waves Panner and voilà I can feed delay inputs for surround or quad usage in Nuendo.
Attachments
MetaPlug_Voltage.png
MetaPlug_Voltage.png (917.23 KiB) Viewed 2453 times

Return to “Voltage Modular”