Surround Output Channels please

For discussion of the Voltage Modular synthesis ecosystem.
nkf

Surround Output Channels please

Post by nkf »

Please implement a surround output capability. I do a lot of work in surround and want to construct some surround FX with Voltage as insert FX for surround channels. There are these six AUX channels and you could make them available as additional surround outputs - please at least in L/R/C/LFE/Ls/Rs configuration for music productions.
cherryaudio Greg
Site Admin

Re: Surround Output Channels please

Post by cherryaudio Greg »

Hi,

Thanks for the suggestion!

Greg
nkf

Post by nkf »

Any chance to see it implemented soon?
cherryaudio Greg
Site Admin

Post by cherryaudio Greg »

nkf wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:38 pm Any chance to see it implemented soon?
Hi,

We don't have immediate plans to implement any surround sound feature, but we do have 6 aux outs that you could route to surround sound in your DAW.

And somebody could make a surround sound module that would allow you to do panning, etc. Any manufacturers out there want to do that?

Edited to add: what features would a surround sound module need?

Greg
nkf

Post by nkf »

I know that routing is an option, but a bit cumbersome as you have to do it again and again for your DAW. Therefore it would be just a switch or something needed, which would make the DAW aware of the surround output capabilities at once. Voltage Modular doesn't need any changes for that, just an addtional output option for the Aux outs and sending this info to the DAW (as it seems). Many plug ins 'realize' they are inserted into a stereo or 5.1 channels automatically and adapt accordingly. I don't know how to do this, I'm no developer. Once we would have Voltage channel aware for surround, all the pacthing for special needs can be done by the user. My first goal is to make a nice surround delay, other ideas are currently cooking and I'm sure other will come up too with some great ideas.
Benard

Post by Benard »

I know this is not exactly what you're looking for, but in case you're not aware of this, there is already a module available to do multichannel panning in a quadraphonic setup.

https://store.cherryaudio.com/modules/m ... lar-panner

I plan to implement other formats in the near future, starting with an octaphonic panner. I might at some point do other surround formats if there's interest and I manage to find the time, and I definitely would like to implement an ambisonics encoder and some spatial processors. I might even do 3D higher order ambisonics if at some point the output count in VM were to be increased (with 8 outs only first order would be possible).

But the quad panner should at least allow you to do some basic things for now, or you could use it as a starting point to convert from quad to 5.1 in your DAW. To use it you only have to set up the track in your DAW as a quad track, which should be pretty straight forward.
nkf

Post by nkf »

Thank you Bernard - will check this out.
nkf

Post by nkf »

There is no demo for the Mono to Quad Circular Panner ... so I just have to guess it is done right. It maybe fine for using Voltage as an instrument, but surround insert with more than stereo channels doesn't work here in Nuendo 10 for using it as an FX insert. You cannot route it to the surround outputs, because the plug in is always stereo as an insert - you cannot activate more outputs like in the instrument version. So I'm stuck for my ideas using Voltage as a surround fx processor. It is up to Cherry to add the possibility for Voltage having multiple outputs as an insert FX. As mentioned, as an instrument it runs fine and all outputs can be activated..
Benard

Post by Benard »

I don't have Nuendo, but VM seems to work fine as an FX with multiple channels in Reaper, so I'm not sure where the problem could be.

As for the Quad Panner, there is a demo available as part of the Mega Bundle Vol.2. I can make a separate demo available if you want, though obviously it won't help you if you can't get VM to appear as a multi channel track in Nuendo as you mentioned.
Benard

Post by Benard »

I have a suggestion for Cherry Audio:

I think it would be really useful to have a multichannel output similar to the way that polyphonic modules work, with a single poly cable that would be sent to the host as a multi channel track. This would open up some really interesting possibilities, and would really set VM apart from other platforms. Granted, very few hosts do 16 channel tracks at the moment, and I'm obviously thinking of Reaper as the main target, but this could also work in a number of other hosts that already do multi channel tracks for surround and VR.

If this were implemented it would be possible to make all kinds of spatial processors using 3rd order ambisonics, which could then be easily sent via a single poly cable (using 16 voices) from dedicated modules in VM to Reaper for further processing, mixing, and eventual decoding into binaural or a 3D speaker setup. It would make VM a great tool for working with ambisonics and for generating content for VR and games! The existence of poly cables already provides the potential for a really elegant solution for routing signals from the modules to the host.

I don't know how difficult it would be to implement this, but I think it's definitely worth considering for future versions of VM.

Return to “Voltage Modular”