Octagon

For discussion of the Voltage Modular synthesis ecosystem.
JackOats

Octagon

Post by JackOats »

Just trialing the Octagon sequencer - which is terrific!

I'm wondering if there is a way of extending the 32 steps, in effect, adding another (or several) sets of 32 steps that would run on consecutively. So one could construct a piece with several sections - intro/1st theme/development with key change/2nd theme with key change... etc. before returning to the 1st theme.
At the moment - great as it is - whatever is written in the 32 steps just repeats, which may be around only 8 or 10 seconds long.
iMac 27/Catalina/3.5 GBh Intel Core i7/16 GB Ram/3 TB HD
The masculine includes the feminine (Guys)
Google: 'JackOats' to see my Soundcloud page, 'Brian Watterson - Vimeo' for my Videos.
flyinghitcher

Re: Octagon

Post by flyinghitcher »

Something like this will work
Multiple sequencers, 3 in this example. DC to provide a constant voltage, 1x8 switch to say what order to play the sequancers, start and stopping them. Sync Operator and some Clock Dividers to get them in time and to push the 1x8 switch along in steps..
Attachments
SequenceSetUpPNG.PNG
SequenceSetUpPNG.PNG (363.32 KiB) Viewed 4726 times
JackOats

Post by JackOats »

Something like this will work
Excellent my friend!

Thank you so much. Will try this tonight. :D
Google: 'JackOats' to see my Soundcloud page, 'Brian Watterson - Vimeo' for my Videos.
dave dove

Re: Octa

Post by dave dove »

No access to computer atm so can’t provide examples
But just off the top of my head....
You could just have a number of sequencers running and switch between the outputs using any clock source to trigger switches
Even use amplifiers and LFO with a quantiser on the final output
So a square wave would switch between them but the fun would be in the generated output using other waveforms
Or something

Dave
K-Teck: Colouring with Numbers: M4L and Reaktor devices...
http://k-teck.co.uk/
JackOats

Post by JackOats »

Hi Dave - Many thanks for the message.

Lots of food for thought! :)
cherryMitch

Post by cherryMitch »

Little late to the party, and sort of echoing what's already been said, but prior to creating Octagon, we created a lot of extended sequences with the 8- and 16-step sequencers by using a common clock source running through a Sync Divider (subdividing the clock by 8, 16, etc). Applying this idea to two instances of Octagon, you could essentially have a 32-step controller (think about it like programming in song mode on a classic drum machine), and given the fact that a step in Octagon can really be up to eight clocks, it's pretty feasible that you could create an entire song this way.

If you have it, the Drum Trigger Sequencer module is nice for this kind of thing too as it has an internal "song" mode built-in that lets you switch patterns (up to 99 steps). Obviously it doesn't let you set pitches, but I've used the Drum Trig Seq for a lot of non-drum applications (it's pretty neat as a modulator for the Additive Oscillator, for example), and of course you could use it simultaneously with Octagon(s).
JackOats

Post by JackOats »

@cherryMitch; Thanks very much for that Mitch. So sorry I missed you last July. :oops: :oops: :oops:

Return to “Voltage Modular”