Voltage Module 1.3.10 Released!

For discussion of the Voltage Modular synthesis ecosystem.
Cherry Dan
Site Admin

Voltage Module 1.3.10 Released!

Post by Cherry Dan »

Voltage 1.3.10 has been released today, with some small but important updates that will improve performance and help make Voltage Modular even more powerful.
  • For those using multiple CPU threads and running Voltage Modular in a DAW, these mixing threads are now shared between multiple instances on Voltage Modular. This will help making mixing very efficient, while not overwhelming your computer's resources.
  • Users of FL Studio who are using samples rates other than 48 kHz will find that Voltage Modular works great now without setting any special flags in FL Studio.
  • Preferences in Voltage Modular are now global between instances, so if you have multiple instances of Voltage Modular loaded in a DAW, and you change the cable thickness or any other preference in the preference dialog, those changes will immediately get picked up by all other instances of Voltage Modular.
  • Users of the stand-alone version have a new preference. When you exit Voltage Modular stand-alone, your current patch will be remembered, and will come up exactly as you left it the next time you run Voltage Modular stand-alone. Pretty nifty!
  • For developers: we've updated our Java engine from Java 8 to Java 11, so module developers now have even more powerful tools in their toolbox. Also, developers can now call GetDefaultValue() on most controls, including sliders, switches, and knobs. Also, new notifications are sent at the start and end of loading a module preset.
Voltage Modular 1.3.10 is available now! Next time you run Voltage Modular, it should automatically download the update, or, as always, you can visit https://store.cherryaudio.com/my/library to download the update immediately!

Thanks as always,
- Dan @ Cherry Audio
scook

Re: Voltage Module 1.3.10 Released!

Post by scook »

Thanks for the update
It was an easy install
VM standalone does retain more settings than previous versions
Still missing persistent location of I/O and perform controls in presets
Also seems to have some unexpected side effects with 3rd party modules. I will send email to the module developers after more testing.
martb

Post by martb »

Cherry Dan wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:18 am [*]Users of the stand-alone version have a new preference. When you exit Voltage Modular stand-alone, your current patch will be remembered, and will come up exactly as you left it the next time you run Voltage Modular stand-alone. Pretty nifty!
Excellent - Thanks! :)
Benard

Post by Benard »

Is there any information for developers about the specific changes in the new version? As Scook mentioned, some unexpected issues have crept up, and it might be helpful in narrowing down the causes if we had a better understanding of the specific things that have changed.

So far from what has been reported, the LEDs in my Bernoulli Gate module now stay lit for some reason instead of turning on and off. I need to look into this and do some testing, but I was wondering if there is anything that changed that might give a clue as to why this would happen.

Thanks, and congratulations on the new release!
Eddie

Post by Eddie »

Users of the stand-alone version have a new preference. When you exit Voltage Modular stand-alone, your current patch will be remembered, and will come up exactly as you left it the next time you run Voltage Modular stand-alone. Pretty nifty!
Yeeeh! Thanks for the update!
Cherry Garcia
Site Admin

Post by Cherry Garcia »

Bernard,

What function calls are you using to turn the LEDs on and off?
Benard

Post by Benard »

Cherry Garcia wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:52 pm Bernard,

What function calls are you using to turn the LEDs on and off?
Hi Cherry,

It seems that the problem is being caused by the initialization. When I first made this module I was using the normal SetValue method for the LEDs, but since this wouldn't work with very short triggers, I added a function that would instead call SetMomentaryBlink in the cases when the trigger length knob was set to less than a certain amount. I'm sure there are better way to deal with this, but it was working fine until the update. But the strange things is that as I looked into it now, I realized that it still works once I move the trigger length knob for the first time, but before that the LEDs get stuck and never go off. I was using trigLen = trigLenKnob.GetValue() in initialize. Any ideas?

Aside from this though, I think it would be helpful to just have a list of what has changed with new versions. For instance, now there is a new field in MD labelled Internal Name, in between Display Name and Variable Name. It would help to know if this is something we need to take into account now, or if it offers some additional functionality, especially since there is so much about MD that isn't properly documented yet.

Thanks!

Ps. Maybe this is not the best thread to discuss this, so maybe we can move it to the MD forum if you prefer.
scook

Post by scook »

Having significant performance issues in the stand alone that I have never experienced before. Patches that played before don't play properly. Scrolling the screen is not smooth and interferes with audio. Resets do not always reset values. LED Indicators fail to work as expected. Just clicked the new button and this is what the I/O panel looks like (notice the Main Outs does not reset)
bad output.PNG
bad output.PNG (182.4 KiB) Viewed 5608 times
The problems seem worse with multi-threading enabled but turning off the option does not help much.

It would be nice if there was a way to roll back to the previous version.
Running the stand alone VM 1.3.10 on Win10 v1803
Cherry Garcia
Site Admin

Post by Cherry Garcia »

Scook and Bernard,

We have discovered redrawing problems in 1.3.10. Thank you for alerting this to us! We are going to be making a hot-fix to address this today probably.

Scook - In regards to noticing performance problems, I sent you instructions and download info for 1.3.5 via PM.
Cherry Garcia
Site Admin

Post by Cherry Garcia »

Due to an unfortunate bug, we are about to release a hot-fix new version. Please stand by. (=

Return to “Voltage Modular”