Clicking/Crackle sound when playing every note in DAW

For discussion of the Voltage Modular synthesis ecosystem.
Cherry Garcia
Site Admin

Re: Clicking/Crackle sound when playing every note in DAW

Post by Cherry Garcia »

Your latency is quite low and VM is not a simple VST. Every module processes one sample at a time.

This sentence is interesting to me.
- some patches, even my own, without plugin host, or sometimes with two plugin hosts, but not that complex, will play, but i see, the peak meter (latency meter of Cubase) going almost in to red, it has it's own rythm....
Could you shoot a video of that? I am not a Cubase user, so I'd like to see what is going on better.

Avast could be messing with things. I would definitely try turning off/uninstall any monitoring software and only use one program. Check the task manager to make sure nothing else is going on. We incorporate Java 11 and most programs don't do that. In fact, we may be the only plugin that uses Java.
HowlingMod

Post by HowlingMod »

Cherry Garcia wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:11 pm Your latency is quite low and VM is not a simple VST. Every module processes one sample at a time.

- some patches, even my own, without plugin host, or sometimes with two plugin hosts, but not that complex, will play, but i see, the peak meter (latency meter of Cubase) going almost in to red, it has it's own rythm....
Could you shoot a video of that? I am not a Cubase user, so I'd like to see what is going on better.

Avast could be messing with things. I would definitely try turning off/uninstall any monitoring software and only use one program. Check the task manager to make sure nothing else is going on. We incorporate Java 11 and most programs don't do that. In fact, we may be the only plugin that uses Java.
hi cherry garcia!

i will test, when my health is back (strange sentence...), or better, when i am recovered.
Ryzen 9 5900X, 32 gb, gtx 1060 6gb, win 10 pro. voltage modular core; psp ultimate, andrew macaulay ultimate, ben davis complete, MRB, Vult, Weevil, one & two year bundle etc. (910+ modules)

https://soundcloud.com/sada-exposada
HowlingMod

Post by HowlingMod »

Cherry Garcia wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:11 pm Your latency is quite low and VM is not a simple VST. Every module processes one sample at a time.

i never had problems with 256 samples latency, but indeed, turning it up to 512 samples, reduced latency peaks (blue). they are playable.
strange, because i never really see any differnece, although with some plugins, between 256 or 512.
but the spikes are gone. with presets from VM. my presets, most of them use the plugin host, didn't test them yet.

but every plugin is different, some need more latency....

one preset, a preset that i normally test, if i close cubase, it doesn't close well, it closes most of the times without a warning, but controllers aren't released etc. and sometimes it reports a crash. this preset doesn't work with multi-thread on. i tested only a few presets, they could survive, or work, when multi-threaded was on.

and this time i got one:

Logboeknaam: Application
Bron: Application Error
Datum: 8-5-2019 12:24:27
Gebeurtenis-id:1000
Taakcategorie: (100)
Niveau: Fout
Trefwoorden: Klassiek
Gebruiker: n.v.t.
Computer: Supreme
Beschrijving:
Naam van toepassing met fout: Cubase10.exe, versie: 10.0.20.187, tijdstempel: 0x5c935e03
Naam van module met fout: ucrtbase.DLL, versie: 10.0.14393.2630, tijdstempel: 0x5bbec6c9
Uitzonderingscode: 0x40000015
Foutoffset: 0x000000000006e84f
Id van proces met fout: 0x1e78
Starttijd van toepassing met fout: 0x01d50581b29c4ef0
Pad naar toepassing met fout: C:\Program Files\Steinberg\Cubase 10\Cubase10.exe
Pad naar module met fout: C:\Windows\system32\ucrtbase.DLL
Rapport-id: 74a0b4e0-717b-11e9-abd0-3497f68fee89
Gebeurtenis-XML:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
<System>
<Provider Name="Application Error" />
<EventID Qualifiers="0">1000</EventID>
<Level>2</Level>
<Task>100</Task>
<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2019-05-08T10:24:27.000000000Z" />
<EventRecordID>506554</EventRecordID>
<Channel>Application</Channel>
<Computer>Supreme</Computer>
<Security />
</System>
<EventData>
<Data>Cubase10.exe</Data>
<Data>10.0.20.187</Data>
<Data>5c935e03</Data>
<Data>ucrtbase.DLL</Data>
<Data>10.0.14393.2630</Data>
<Data>5bbec6c9</Data>
<Data>40000015</Data>
<Data>000000000006e84f</Data>
<Data>1e78</Data>
<Data>01d50581b29c4ef0</Data>
<Data>C:\Program Files\Steinberg\Cubase 10\Cubase10.exe</Data>
<Data>C:\Windows\system32\ucrtbase.DLL</Data>
<Data>74a0b4e0-717b-11e9-abd0-3497f68fee89</Data>
</EventData>
</Event>

this is caused by the following preset: that uses the sampler II and the plugin host, for the KORG MS-20 FX plugin (vst2), VM is loaded as an vst3.
Witch Crickets 07.voltagepreset
a preset with a plugin host, loading the korg ms-20 FX.
(410.63 KiB) Downloaded 276 times
Last edited by HowlingMod on Wed May 08, 2019 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ryzen 9 5900X, 32 gb, gtx 1060 6gb, win 10 pro. voltage modular core; psp ultimate, andrew macaulay ultimate, ben davis complete, MRB, Vult, Weevil, one & two year bundle etc. (910+ modules)

HowlingMod

Post by HowlingMod »

this was a douible post by mistake, but i use it now for... ableton

i loaded the the witch cricket 7 preset in ableton, no problems, even multi-threaded.
i closed ableton (live 10.0.6 suite).

i saw a new file on my desktop; a java dump log,. now has an attachment here:
hs_err_pid6256.rar
java dump log
(9.31 KiB) Downloaded 272 times

EDIT: with 512 samples in cubase 10 pro it plays, but! if i load an effect, or drag another window.... it affects audio, it is doable, but not something that is great for workflow... it is disturbs...

and i still the blue latency meter is very unstable, and again, in reaper all works fine. but in reaper softube modular won't work, haha.

i can use softube modular with 256 samples in cubase... complex patches play, and it demands more from the DAW.

i still feel there is something wrong with the graphical implementation, or it is my system. i have tweaked windows further, did some cleaning (no ccleaner, but services, etc.), tackled some strange behavior.

is it the 3 screens, is it windows 7? is nvidia and windows 7. i shall try to deinstall avast.

but i want to things with VM so i decided, i will work with it in reaper, can even rewire it, or make stems, most of the times i make stems of modular patches. in ableton it works better, even 256 samples, but that java dump file...

maybe is my windows 7 not perfect anymore, i have mangled it at some point, but it behaves normally... latency mon, is quiet now, that wasn't always the case. but i can run the things this system can handle.

anyways, perhaps there will be a solution. for cubase. perhaps when i at last, install windows 10 pro (seperate license..).

HowlingMod

Post by HowlingMod »

i only want to say that VM at last works without problems (yes some crackles when you go to a browser, or some other programs, and sometimes within cubase when a window is opened, of cubase itself, but not problematic, not while i am really working).

the solution: windows 10 pro...... VM didn't work that well on windows 7 with cubase 10 pro...

and with 256 samples, it can play even complex patches. no erratic spikes anymore. except when you start the plugin, but that isn't strange.

i make the story too long. it works, i can work with it, within cubase. at last. it is my main daw, even if own more.

Return to “Voltage Modular”