AUDIO IN from host not working (OSX Mac mini)

For discussion of the Voltage Modular synthesis ecosystem.
Eddie

AUDIO IN from host not working (OSX Mac mini)

Post by Eddie »

Hi, first off: VM is a really cool product. So thank you for that. I did not explore everything yet but I love what I have seen so far.

Today I wanted to use the vocoder with my USB microphone. I can select the USB microphone in the audio settings of VM. However I don't get any sound. I use a new model Mac mini with OSX Mojave (10.14.3). In the OS X "System Preferences" I see the Mic is working... it shows input when setting the mic input volume.
I can record in Logic Pro with the mic without any problem. Also my U-Phoria UMC404HD sound input does not work in VM (does work in Logic Pro). It seems I get no audio at all in the " Audio in from host" section of the I/O panel.

Any Mac users with working "Audio in from host" ?
rene

Re: AUDIO IN from host not working (OSX Mac mini)

Post by rene »

Try to use VM as an insert effect in your DAW.
Eddie

Post by Eddie »

rene wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:08 am Try to use VM as an insert effect in your DAW.
Thank you for that excellent suggestion! It does work when VM is used as an FX insert!

So the problem seems to be limited to the standalone version... at least I can play around a bit for now. Thanks again for the suggestion I think I would have never tried that :shock:
Cherry Garcia
Site Admin

Post by Cherry Garcia »

I don't have a Mac in front of me right now, but I can tell you that it works on Windows for the standalone and I don't see why it wouldn't work on a Mac. We'll see if we can repro that.
Eddie

Post by Eddie »

Cherry Garcia wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:24 pm I don't have a Mac in front of me right now, but I can tell you that it works on Windows for the standalone and I don't see why it wouldn't work on a Mac. We'll see if we can repro that.
Thank you. If you require any additional details or information please let me know.

Thanks for the awesome product!! Loving it!
Cherry Garcia
Site Admin

Post by Cherry Garcia »

Music to my ears. Thank you! (= That kind of talk only encourages us to add more and more. (=
pcs800

Post by pcs800 »

Hi Eddie, I just tested VM on my mac and the audio input seems to work fine here.
I plugged in a set of USB headphones w/mic and ran a cable from input to output, got sound right away.
Cherry Audio Quality Assurance
Eddie

Post by Eddie »

pcs800 wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:51 pm Hi Eddie, I just tested VM on my mac and the audio input seems to work fine here.
I plugged in a set of USB headphones w/mic and ran a cable from input to output, got sound right away.
Thanks for the suggestion. I just tried that (input directly wired to output) but all silent for me... but since this works for you it might be something I'm doing wrong? Maybe VM needs exclusive control over the device?

I attached an image where you can see the audio preferences of VM and the controls of the OS X "System preferences". In the system preferences you can see input coming from the microphone (few level indicators are lit).... in VM complete silence.... no level indicators are lit.
VM sound input.jpg
VM sound input.jpg (114.4 KiB) Viewed 4777 times

Thanks again for your suggestion.
Cherry Garcia
Site Admin

Post by Cherry Garcia »

I know that the audio engine wants the sample rate to be the same for both input and output. (The DAW scenario already takes care of this.)

But, for the standalone, please check the sample rate of the mic and make sure it can support the selected sample rate.

Also, make sure the output can support the selected sample rate. Are there any error messages?

Please send in your log files after trying to do this. Your log files can be found by going into "Settings", clicking on "General" and then clicking "Show Log Folder". Zip them up and send them to support@cherryaudio.com . Maybe there will be something in the log files that will give us a clue.
Eddie

Post by Eddie »

Cherry Garcia wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:49 am I know that the audio engine wants the sample rate to be the same for both input and output. (The DAW scenario already takes care of this.)

But, for the standalone, please check the sample rate of the mic and make sure it can support the selected sample rate.

Also, make sure the output can support the selected sample rate. Are there any error messages?

Please send in your log files after trying to do this. Your log files can be found by going into "Settings", clicking on "General" and then clicking "Show Log Folder". Zip them up and send them to support@cherryaudio.com . Maybe there will be something in the log files that will give us a clue.
Thank you for the suggestion to match the sample rate. I did not take that into account. So I triedt to set input and output sample rates to the same value. Then I noticed that the USB Mic is 16 bit only. So I tried setting input & output at 16 bit 48Khz (supported by both the sound module and the mic). Still not working in standalone mode. Logic Pro seems to "sample up" any recording on the 48Khz 16bit mic to the actual project settings.

I will send logfiles to the support email box with some further documentation on my settings and devices and what not. Thank you for your assistance.

Return to “Voltage Modular”