Bug: issues running as VST3 in Cubase

For discussion of the Voltage Modular synthesis ecosystem.
AndyMac

Bug: issues running as VST3 in Cubase

Post by AndyMac »

A couple of my modules (Dual Voltmeter and Tempo Display) do not update correctly when running as the VST3 plugin in Cubase 10 x64 on Windows. You need to click on the module to force a refresh. The same modules work fine stand-alone and also in Cakewalk by BandLab.

These two modules are unique in the way they are using Text Label fields to output the numbers, as the Digital Counter does not offer a way to deal with decimal places (feature request for this in the developers kit please)

Are there any other known/reported issues with Voltage Modular running as a plugin in Cubase?

I'm also finding that switching on the Open-GL Acceleration for the plugin causes it to freeze completely in Cubase. Not tried this with other hosts.
HowlingMod

Re: Bug: issues running as VST3 in Cubase

Post by HowlingMod »

i use cubase 9.5.5 pro, i have a lot of problems with the vst3 plugin, crackles, sound spikes. no latency spikes.
it seems that how voltage modular uses graphics (with or without openGL), interferes with playing the modular.
when i close the plugin window, it is the best, but still sometimes. it is erratic.
if you scroll or resize, you hear the audio crackle...
i also get errors, for example cubase doesn't respond anymore. when using voltage modular.
openGL seems to work best. but there seems to be other problems.

also in ableton live 10, the problem is the same, and ableton can only use vst2 plugins (for now...). i didn't, yet, heard any problems when using it in maschine 2.8...

running by the way on windows 7 pro 64 bits, i7 6700k, 32GB, ssd's, etc. and a nvidia geforce gtx 1060 6gb.

no other plugin, how heavy on graphics, or audio engine, shows this kind of problems. softube modular runs smoothly, for example. and uses openGL...
Ryzen 9 5900X, 32 gb, gtx 1060 6gb, win 10 pro. voltage modular core; psp ultimate, andrew macaulay ultimate, ben davis complete, MRB, Vult, Weevil, one & two year bundle etc. (910+ modules)

https://soundcloud.com/sada-exposada
Cherry Garcia
Site Admin

Post by Cherry Garcia »

AndyMac,

Cubase must be using OpenGL as well. I recommend restarting Cubase, as well if switching OpenGL. In regards to those modules not updating, there could be some sort of sandboxing going on. Can you send your log files showing this behavior?
AndyMac

Post by AndyMac »

Will do. It will be tomorrow before I can send it through as of our to a PPL/PRS seminar this evening. It does lead me on to looking at some settings in Cubase to do with how it protects and processes them.
Cherry Garcia
Site Admin

Post by Cherry Garcia »

HowlingMod,

Cubase 9.5 on Windows definitely had a problem with Voltage Modular. They seemed to fix it in Cubase 10. In fact, installing the demo of Cubase 10 seemed to fix the problem for Cubase 9.5. (Maybe it was some driver that they both use?)

We will look into the VST3 problems you are experiencing. For now, please use the VST2. Also, we have a new version coming out today (v1.32) which has a new "CPU" tab in the Settings. In it, it has a Multiple Thread mixing option. For faster computers, the gapping is much less prevalent on more intense presets, but it does use a bit more CPU.

We are constantly looking at ways to improve Voltage Modular . Thanks for the report!
HowlingMod

Post by HowlingMod »

Cherry Garcia wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 5:04 pm HowlingMod,

Cubase 9.5 on Windows definitely had a problem with Voltage Modular. They seemed to fix it in Cubase 10. In fact, installing the demo of Cubase 10 seemed to fix the problem for Cubase 9.5. (Maybe it was some driver that they both use?)

We will look into the VST3 problems you are experiencing. For now, please use the VST2. Also, we have a new version coming out today (v1.32) which has a new "CPU" tab in the Settings. In it, it has a Multiple Thread mixing option. For faster computers, the gapping is much less prevalent on more intense presets, but it does use a bit more CPU.

We are constantly looking at ways to improve Voltage Modular . Thanks for the report!
it is really strange: because of the startup of voltage modular, connecting with internet, of course you get crackles...

i used the vst2 version (moved the vst3 versions outside vst3 folder), same thing happened, but then i tried some settings within cubase:

audio priority is set to "boost", when i change it to "normal"; no crackles, even when scrolling or resizing....

and when i set it back again to "boost", it remains the same, no crackles!

there is something wrong there, i noticed it sometimes, that the latency would lower, even when i toggle something... in cubase that is...

i used the vst3 version again, i didn't had the performance meter window open, so i didn't see the spikes, the peak meter goes into red, when it crackles, i also contacted support, and didn't mentioned these spikes, because i didn't see them....

and changing audio priority to "normal", it plays normal, when changing back to "boost", it plays normal....

i know that some plugins are happy with other settings for asio guard and audio priority. i didn't make notes, so i forgot, which... and when tweaking, i notice strange behavior, that settings changing back and forth, makes the audio smoother. even if the result are the same settings... perhaps cubase internally adapts?

i also updated the driver of my video card, but no difference. updating is not always a good idea, but i never really had the feeling that one driver performed better than another one.

long story.....

thanks for taking reports seriously! and i am looking forward to the new version, and there are so many modules, there were some updates, and it looks also some additions. but i could be wrong, still experimenting with voltage modular, i bought it for 2 specific reasons, so i do not use it full potential, the two goals are my main concern... and it works...
Ryzen 9 5900X, 32 gb, gtx 1060 6gb, win 10 pro. voltage modular core; psp ultimate, andrew macaulay ultimate, ben davis complete, MRB, Vult, Weevil, one & two year bundle etc. (910+ modules)

Cherry Garcia
Site Admin

Post by Cherry Garcia »

HowlingMod,

That is definitely strange. I guess its not a VST3 issue, but a Cubase / Voltage thing. I assumed installing Cubase 10 fixed it for me...but perhaps, it changed a setting somewhere. Or, like you say, it may be adapting internally or maybe there is a list of plugins that it treats differently, etc? Glad its working better and the multi-thread fix we have coming really does help a lot with the audio glitches on more intense presets. (At least for faster computers)
AndyMac

Post by AndyMac »

Just tried the new version - big plus is that the issue with displays not refreshing appears fixed :-) at least on Cubase 10.
HowlingMod

Post by HowlingMod »

when i run voltage modular as vst3 with palindrome sampler, vst2, and minifilter vst2. sequenced... and close the project i get:

Logboeknaam: Application
Bron: Application Error
Datum: 5-3-2019 16:12:28
Gebeurtenis-id:1000
Taakcategorie: (100)
Niveau: Fout
Trefwoorden: Klassiek
Gebruiker: n.v.t.
Computer: Supreme
Beschrijving:
Naam van toepassing met fout: Cubase9.5.exe, versie: 9.5.50.345, tijdstempel: 0x5c54f5e5
Naam van module met fout: ntdll.dll, versie: 6.1.7601.24354, tijdstempel: 0x5c3565b8
Uitzonderingscode: 0xc0000005
Foutoffset: 0x0000000000032b04
Id van proces met fout: 0x10cc
Starttijd van toepassing met fout: 0x01d4d3658ae54590
Pad naar toepassing met fout: C:\Program Files\Steinberg\Cubase 9.5\Cubase9.5.exe
Pad naar module met fout: C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
Rapport-id: 1677bd40-3f59-11e9-b779-3497f68fee89
Gebeurtenis-XML:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
<System>
<Provider Name="Application Error" />
<EventID Qualifiers="0">1000</EventID>
<Level>2</Level>
<Task>100</Task>
<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2019-03-05T15:12:28.000000000Z" />
<EventRecordID>450840</EventRecordID>
<Channel>Application</Channel>
<Computer>Supreme</Computer>
<Security />
</System>
<EventData>
<Data>Cubase9.5.exe</Data>
<Data>9.5.50.345</Data>
<Data>5c54f5e5</Data>
<Data>ntdll.dll</Data>
<Data>6.1.7601.24354</Data>
<Data>5c3565b8</Data>
<Data>c0000005</Data>
<Data>0000000000032b04</Data>
<Data>10cc</Data>
<Data>01d4d3658ae54590</Data>
<Data>C:\Program Files\Steinberg\Cubase 9.5\Cubase9.5.exe</Data>
<Data>C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll</Data>
<Data>1677bd40-3f59-11e9-b779-3497f68fee89</Data>
</EventData>
</Event>

and still the vst3 (i shall try the vst2) creates spikes. even when in maschine, as vst2. enabling multi-threading makes cubase go haywire, with latency spikes, only spikes.

EDIT: voltage modular seems to run smoother on my old laptop... with windows 10. i shall try to run the same sequencer preset on maschine, on my laptop. perhaps a windows 7 thing?

Cherry Garcia
Site Admin

Post by Cherry Garcia »

This is a Cubase 9.5 issue. It works fine in Cubase 10. That crash is in Cubase 9.5. Unfortunately, there's nothing we can do about 9.5. They fixed the problem for v10.

Return to “Voltage Modular”