Empty Plugin Host CPU spike

For discussion of the Voltage Modular synthesis ecosystem.
Paul-in-Wales

Empty Plugin Host CPU spike

Post by Paul-in-Wales »

I love the plugin hosts. I'm having an issue with CPU use spiralling when opening the file selector though:

setup from new:
oscillator > outputs from 4 waveforms to 4 inputs on plugin host (mini and normal)
plugin host 1L to main L
when go to select plugin and open file selector, more often than not, the system CPU usage climbs to over 100% and it becomes unusable.

does this standalone and VST on Mac.

If I only connect to 1L+R, load the plugin *then* connect to 2L+R, the CPU always stays at sensible levels (10-20%)
Cherry Garcia
Site Admin

Re: Empty Plugin Host CPU spike

Post by Cherry Garcia »

Paul-In-Wales,

I can see the CPU spike on Windows sometimes when bringing up the file dialog. It seemed like it happened the first time I tried to repro this. Then it stopped happening without any cables attached.

Does it happen every time you try it? IE: Can you try it 4 times in a row and get the CPU to spike?

We will investigate this. Let us know what you find. (=
Paul-in-Wales

Post by Paul-in-Wales »

It seems to happen every time I do this from "cold".

But if I force quit it when it's doing it and fire up VM again and do the exact same thing - it peaks at about 65%.

If I quit normally after this and redo it - 20% cpu.
Cherry Garcia
Site Admin

Post by Cherry Garcia »

After restarting my computer today, I cannot reproduce it. I did profile it and it showed that any spike or increase in CPU is inside of the O/S calls at that time and there may not be much we can do about it. I will file a bug report to investigate further.

Return to “Voltage Modular”