Global automation assignment to perf. knobs?

For discussion of the Voltage Modular synthesis ecosystem.
Dartelec

Re: Global automation assignment to perf. knobs?

Post by Dartelec »

This sounds a good suggestion - Thanks!
SimonOR

Post by SimonOR »

Have there been any further developments about this? I've just discovered that I have the same problem in Cubase. As Darkstar summed up:
DarkStar wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:53 pm (a) MIDI CC mapping for Performance knobs is saved globally
(b) MIDI CC Mapping for module controls
(c) DAW Automation (mapping to plug-in parameters) for Performance knobs and module controls is saved in the Preset.
For me, the desired behaviour for (c) DAW automation for Perform knobs is to be saved globally, as with (a).
Cherry Garcia wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:06 pm DarkStar,

Ok that makes sense. I will add this as a feature enhancement/bug. Thanks again for your help.
Cherry Garcia, you noted the problem 14 months ago. If this is a bug report, I'd be glad to send further video proof, if that would help. Irrespective of whether this is a bug or a feature request, it would be great if it could be given some priority.

My use case in Cubase is rather different to what Dartelec initially reported for Bitwig. Instead of automation parameter assignment, I could indeed use MIDI CCs mapped globally to the Perform knobs. But there is a problem:

My requirement is to map four expression pedals to the first four Perform knobs, and four hardware knobs to the second four Perform knobs. If I manipulate two Perform knobs simultaneously via MIDI, which is physically very easy and a lot of fun to do with expression pedals, I will eventually get a MIDI stuck note. This problem is not specific to Voltage Modular. I get it with any instrument plugin in Cubase, for example with the Macro knobs that are the equivalents in many conventional software synthesizers of the Perform knobs in Voltage modular.

The solution in Cubase is to map the MIDI CCs coming into the DAW from the expression pedals (and any other hardware controllers) to plugin automation parameters and use those automation parameters instead of MIDI to control the required plugin controls, in this case, Virtual Modular's Perform knobs. (Cubase has a facility called Quick Controls to configure all of this.) With this method, I never get MIDI stuck notes.

So it would be very convenient for me to be able to save Perform knob automation assignments globally instead of having to configure them separately for each preset.

Simon
Rockky

Post by Rockky »

And this is a bump of the same (or at least similar) feature request a year on.

I've only just got into using VM to make audio effects and the fact the performance knobs and buttons aren't mapped automatically inside DAWs is a pain.
The automation assign feature (in Windows you can right click on a performance section knob and select Automation Assign) method works, but it's slow to set up and could there not be an option at the top of the menu something like 'auto assign performance defaults' that just maps all 8 knobs automatically and names them as per there current labels? Would save a lot of faffing about. Also, why on earth do the knob numbers internally jump from 1-6 to 8-9 ?
automation.png
automation.png (259.07 KiB) Viewed 1578 times
anonyrat

Post by anonyrat »

I have just purchased VM2 and also demoing the core presets. I am using this instrument inside Studio One. Everything working OK until I came to do what EVERY other instrument and Effect behaves in Studio One using the Faderport and that is to control knobs/sliders and buttons.
When I select ANY instument (including Cherry Audio's own Mercury/PS-20 etc) and the Faderport is in "Edit Plugins" mode, Studio One recognises it and brings up all the saved parameters that have been assigned to faders and buttons - all 8 pages of them - so I can control anything. Except VM2

Now with VM2, having SO many "things" to adjust it would be next to impossible to map out.

However the PERFORM section, although it has different knobs for different presets, it still has 9 knobs and 4 buttons.
Going through all the patches and saving assignments is not on. Why cannot these 9 knobs and 4 buttons and the Master Volume be globally assigned. I don't care what numbers, be it the first 10 or the last 10 and then present these so that Studio One can assign them to the faderport or the Atom SQ controller?

I noticed that some people have requested something similar for a LONG time now - whay is this so hard CA ?

Return to “Voltage Modular”