Total noob-how to patch super osc into sequencer

For discussion of the Voltage Modular synthesis ecosystem.
JDubbz

Total noob-how to patch super osc into sequencer

Post by JDubbz »

I sit and stare at these amazing modules. Wishing I knew how to do "it all". I know..it takes patience. I've read the documentation on these modules and I generally understand about 10% of the information...but it's soaking in...slowly. I watch YouTube videos on modular basics...same thing...soaking in slowly. All this said--could someone help me understand how to patch:

1. Super oscillator into the 8 step sequencer. I've tried every combination I can imagine. How do I get this baby to move?
--edit--currently I have the output of super osc. into the start of 8 step seq and the output of 8 step into the main audio outs. I hear a rhythmic clicking...am I close?
2. Also, how to oscillate the waveform I created so it changes over time (before it hits the sequencer?). I see that each of the "shaping options" has an input jack for CV in, but again, no idea how to make that happen.

There will be more of these posts and I humbly ask for your kindness and patience. Thank you!
-JW
Cherry Garcia
Site Admin

Re: Total noob-how to patch super osc into sequencer

Post by Cherry Garcia »

JW,

Just like anything - it gets easier as you do it. One tip I would definitely suggest is to use the Oscilloscope to see what the signal is from any jack. This will help alot.

1. The 8 step sequencer just generates 'pitches' that would actually drive the Super oscillator.
8step-super-patch.jpg
8step-super-patch.jpg (188.63 KiB) Viewed 3505 times
A. Make sure to hit the "Play" button on the sequencer. (This will show the red LED lights for each step)

2. To modulate the super oscillator, hook up an LFO to one or more modulation inputs as follows: (See the second attachment)
A. Add an LFO
B. Connect a cable from one of the waveforms on the LFO to one of the CV ins such as such "Shape", "Wavefold", etc.
C. Now turn the CV IN for that item on the super oscillator.

Of course, it doesn't have to be an LFO, it could be an envelope generator that is triggered on a new gate signal from the keyboard, etc.

Thanks for the questions! We appreciate it! (=
Attachments
add-lfo-to-modulate-superosc.jpg
add-lfo-to-modulate-superosc.jpg (211.34 KiB) Viewed 3505 times
scook

Post by scook »

Try
Sequencer output to the Oscillator keyb cv
Oscillator output to main out
Adjust the sliders on the Sequencer
then
add envelope generator
connect gate out from sequencer to gate in on envelope generator
add amplifier
connect env out from envelope generator to cv in on amplifier
move the out from the super oscillator from the main out to the amplifier input
connect the amplifier output to the main out

edit:
of source, I type slower than some :D
forgot about Q2 too.
JDubbz

Post by JDubbz »

Oh, man--this is too good. IT'S HAPPENING! Already I see possibilities...wow. THANK YOU.
Ok--two questions if I may.

1. Can you explain what you said above a little further?
" Of course, it doesn't have to be an LFO, it could be an envelope generator that is triggered on a new gate signal from the keyboard, etc. "
No idea how to patch that, but it sounds great.

2. The blue buttons on the sequencer (Step on/off) don't seem to do anything. I thought it would be cool to not hear all 8 notes triggered, but that doesn't seem to do it. I can click the led / number of steps down (at the top) to 6 or something, that's ok, but it subtracts steps from the end only.

Thanks again---this is so fun.
JDubbz

Post by JDubbz »

scook wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:50 pm Try
Sequencer output to the Oscillator keyb cv
Oscillator output to main out
Adjust the sliders on the Sequencer
then
add envelope generator
connect gate out from sequencer to gate in on envelope generator
add amplifier
connect env out from envelope generator to cv in on amplifier
move the out from the super oscillator from the main out to the amplifier input
connect the amplifier output to the main out

edit:
of source, I type slower than some :D
forgot about Q2 too.
Thank you! So cool to see another way! Adjusting resonance on the generator really opened it up beautifully.
What's Q2?
scook

Post by scook »

Q2
JDubbz wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:14 pm 2. Also, how to oscillate the waveform I created so it changes over time (before it hits the sequencer?). I see that each of the "shaping options" has an input jack for CV in, but again, no idea how to make that happen.

Return to “Voltage Modular”