First impressions

For discussion of the Voltage Modular synthesis ecosystem.
lalo

First impressions

Post by lalo »

Hi all,
happy to be here.
I've just made in the last couple of days some first test with Voltage Modular mostly as a VST3 in Reaper on my Windows7 64bit laptop.
In September when i'll be more steadily at home i'll do some testing on my studio desktop audio machine (Win10 with an i7 7700k cpu).

First impressions are very good.
Usability and host integration is ok (btw i have some request that i'll post in separate threads).
Graphic is charming ( a little bit on the "fancy" side for my personal taste...but i'm a 2d flat gui extremist :-D ).
I'm really after looking at the module designer to try to design my stuff.
I've been a little disappointed about taking things in the FM realm.
Both oscillators and filters seems to behave quite strange when audio rate FM is used.
But maybe they are not designed for that and are more inclined to the "standard" subtractive synthesis paradigm. (i'm too buchla-ish, ems-ish? :-D ).
I'll keep giving reports and making request if those are welcome by the developing team.
Thanks and all the best!
a.
cherryMitch

Re: First impressions

Post by cherryMitch »

>>Hi all, happy to be here.

I should have responded this post first, but glad to have you, hope you're enjoying Voltage Modular.

>>First impressions are very good.
Usability and host integration is ok (btw i have some request that i'll post in separate threads).
>>Graphic is charming ( a little bit on the "fancy" side for my personal taste...but i'm a 2d flat gui extremist :-D ).

Yes, I own some of the Valhalla plugs, and though I don't mind the 2D minimal look, many people seem to think it's cheap or chintzy. The number one most important aspect (IMO) is clarity - nothing too tiny to make out, and (hopefully) functional intuitiveness. It can be pretty challenging sometimes!

>>I'm really after looking at the module designer to try to design my stuff.
>>I've been a little disappointed about taking things in the FM realm.
>>Both oscillators and filters seems to behave quite strange when audio rate FM is used.

I feel that the AM and FM behavior compares pretty favorably with my modular system, but of course YMMV. We certainly encourage you to develop your own modules!

best,

Mitchell/Cherry Audio
Hedgemunkees

Post by Hedgemunkees »

While discussion GUI, a future update idea....customizable skins for modules??
cherryMitch

Post by cherryMitch »

Hedgemunkees wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:31 am While discussion GUI, a future update idea....customizable skins for modules??
I can't say with 100% authority, but I don't think we could, given the way modules are made with our Module Designer app.
lalo

Post by lalo »

cherryMitch wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:15 am
Hedgemunkees wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:31 am While discussion GUI, a future update idea....customizable skins for modules??
I can't say with 100% authority, but I don't think we could, given the way modules are made with our Module Designer app.
Wouldn't be possible to change the aspect of the java code resources (i guess module designer will call svg files or some sort of gfx format like bmp or jpg or png). Or it's all VM custom vector stuff?
JackOats

Post by JackOats »

I, for one, would really love to have the option of replacing the present .svg designs with some of my own - if only for my own patches. I'm sure the clever people in the C.A. Dev department could devise a way to make it possible?

After all, third party developers do it all the time in VCV Rack.
iMac 27/Catalina/3.5 GBh Intel Core i7/16 GB Ram/3 TB HD
The masculine includes the feminine (Guys)
Google: 'JackOats' to see my Soundcloud page, 'Brian Watterson - Vimeo' for my Videos.

Return to “Voltage Modular”