The competition has finally arrived... VCV Rack2 .

For discussion of the Voltage Modular synthesis ecosystem.
carl_ix

The competition has finally arrived... VCV Rack2 .

Post by carl_ix »

Is anyone else wondering if the guys at CA are gearing up to keep away this temptation that is VCV Rack 2? The low room light feature alone is temping my curiosity.
I have asked a few times if and when VM3 will be coming out, but it seems they're more occupied with separate standalone synths these days.If Greg and Co haven't checked it out yet, then I think they should. There are some nice features and IMO a more aesthetically pleasing UI compared to VM2's UI.

There said my piece.
Steve W

Re: The competition has finally arrived... VCV Rack2 .

Post by Steve W »

carl_ix wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 7:36 pm Is anyone else wondering if the guys at CA are gearing up to keep away this temptation that is VCV Rack 2? The low room light feature alone is temping my curiosity.
I have asked a few times if and when VM3 will be coming out, but it seems they're more occupied with separate standalone synths these days.If Greg and Co haven't checked it out yet, then I think they should. There are some nice features and IMO a more aesthetically pleasing UI compared to VM2's UI.

There said my piece.
I gave up on VCV when they made OpenGL mandatory. I was delighted that Cherry Audio came out with Voltage Modular and OpenGL was optional. I understand that some people think VCV is to be modelled. That's fine, but I really wish VCV fans and admirers will stop judging VM in terms of VCV. I don't hold any respect for people who feel a need to generate fake competitions among makers of music software. We all have preferences and whatever our reasons are, our personal choices are just that, personal choices. You might like one virtual modular synthesizer platform over others and that's fine. But please don't turn your personal preferences into something to be held out as a standard for others who might make other personal choices.
andy79

Re: The competition has finally arrived... VCV Rack2 .

Post by andy79 »

It would be nice for VM to allow for multiple GUI options for the same module, smth like Original/Eurorack/etc/. But I really don't have a problem with the GUI. Actually Green/Yellow/Red/Blue coloring of the default VM modules, by type I find very practical.

I have VCV2, and the only implementation advantage I see is the approach to mono/poly(I'm guessing CherryAudio's decision no to follow this route was based on some constraints). Otherwise, VM is a breeze to work with compared to VCV for a beginner like me: useful presets, more intuitive cable management and connectivity logic, in general I can reach faster to results with VM). As far as elegance and beauty, this is in the eye of the beholder, but I can see why owners/fans of the real eurorack stuff appreciate it more.
And yep, VCV is cheaper, if you factor in the great third party stuff in VM environment.

I have yet to see more amazing sounds in VCV than VM. For example I find AAS's Multiphonics more diverse as sound possibilities.

Return to “Voltage Modular”