VCV Rack goes Pro ...

For discussion of the Voltage Modular synthesis ecosystem.
xuoham

VCV Rack goes Pro ...

Post by xuoham »

Hmmm... would it sound as good as VM ?

https://vcvrack.com/Rack

Anyway, on a personal and superficial note, the more sober and unified look of the modules fits my taste for sure.
A good looking interface is contributing to inspiration and creativity, even though it's a small amount, imho.

https://vcvrack.com/Rack2/main.mp4

Meanwhile, i'm having a big blast with the MBR/VA VM2500 collection and the monster i
had fun asssembling. WHAT A SOUND !! :shock:
ONLY IN VM ... :D

Last edited by xuoham on Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
huggermugger

Re: VCV Rack goes Pro ...

Post by huggermugger »

Yes VCV Rack sounds as good as VM. I've been using it for a few years, and it's a beast, an excellent beast. It also offers lots more modules.
xuoham wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 11:46 pm Hmmm... would it sound as good as VM ?

andy79

Post by andy79 »

VCV is less intuitive than VM for noobs (like me). So presets are a needed to see what and how can sounds be created with it.

And related to sound, indeed, the VM2500 sounds indeed amazing. VCV can be better? No clue.

Is the the VM900 even better to be worth the extra cash compared to the VM ? From what I remember when testing it, what stood out for me is the way the envelopes worked on the VM900. So easy to fine tune them, so snappy...
MRBarton

Post by MRBarton »

Sorry folks, couldn't resist this one because I know the answer!

The answer to which one sounds better is.....................neither.

VCV Rack and Voltage Modular have no "sound". What you are saying is that one empty cabinet sounds better than the other, and that's all these systems are; empty cabinets. VCV and VM are infrastructure that pass on what the modules sound like. You have to decide on sound quality, desirability, etc. module-by-module. The sound comes from the modules, not the system. So it is up to you to decide which developers you like and will trust in the future. I'm sure quality varies all over the place everywhere, but it is not the fault of either system, therefore it makes no sense to say that either is better. You might like one over the other for other reasons, but sound should not be one of them.

--mb

P.S.
If you like the sound of my MRB stuff and the CA/MRB stuff, then stick over here because I will never be developing for VCV.
xuoham

Post by xuoham »

Thank you Mark.

I see ...

I didn't know this, that's eye opening.
I really thought that the platform hosting the modules, the way it's coded, had
an influence on sound.

MRB and CA/MRB sound incredibly good, for sure, and i was just curious about VCV.

With all the modules i bought from VA, and the fun and aural pleasure i get each time
i never considered switching to VCV or Softube for a modular platform.

Just curious.
MRBarton

Post by MRBarton »

You make me happy. :D
xuoham

Post by xuoham »

:D
andy79

Post by andy79 »

MRBarton wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 1:22 am Sorry folks, couldn't resist this one because I know the answer!

The answer to which one sounds better is.....................neither.

VCV Rack and Voltage Modular have no "sound". What you are saying is that one empty cabinet sounds better than the other, and that's all these systems are; empty cabinets. VCV and VM are infrastructure that pass on what the modules sound like. You have to decide on sound quality, desirability, etc. module-by-module. The sound comes from the modules, not the system. So it is up to you to decide which developers you like and will trust in the future. I'm sure quality varies all over the place everywhere, but it is not the fault of either system, therefore it makes no sense to say that either is better. You might like one over the other for other reasons, but sound should not be one of them.

--mb

P.S.
If you like the sound of my MRB stuff and the CA/MRB stuff, then stick over here because I will never be developing for VCV.
Thanks for the great add-ons to VM! Still on the fence for VM900. Not that it's not a great set, it's just that there's too much stuff and too little time :)
scook

Post by scook »

Voltage Modular and Rack Pro both have host modules.
It is possible to load either synth into the other.
MRBarton

Post by MRBarton »

andy79 wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 3:08 pm
Thanks for the great add-ons to VM! Still on the fence for VM900. Not that it's not a great set, it's just that there's too much stuff and too little time :)
You are all so welcome. As you know, I'm having the best time doing all these modules. If I had to describe my dream job, this would be it.

I don't know why you're having trouble pulling the trigger. >$150,000 worth of synthesizer for $59 seems like a no-brainer. ;)
While it's on sale, of course.

Return to “Voltage Modular”