Win 10 VM Standalone lots of pops and cracks

For discussion of the Voltage Modular synthesis ecosystem.
qbellow

Win 10 VM Standalone lots of pops and cracks

Post by qbellow »

Hello everyone! My first post, was trying to avoid adding a new crackle and pop post, but here we go. I'll add laptop specs below. long story short, I have a motu m2, and no matter the buffer settings (low or high) Voltage Modular 2 some times just go into a tizzy and all you hear is snap and crackle. I've tried ASIO, Windows Audio (can't get exclusive to work with the motu), and Direct Audio, all have varying degrees of the same issue. Now, if I'm doing a bare bone patch with no effects, and I'm talking only one oscillator, an envelope, and a vca, no problem.

My daw is Studio one 5 (i've tried VST2 and VST3 as well) same issue there. Here are my system specs:

Motu M2 going into a usbc port
Device name MSI
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10750H CPU @ 2.60GHz 2.59 GHz
Installed RAM 64.0 GB (63.8 GB usable)
Device ID B8FE4AA9-AD84-48FB-8773-BD47F41C64D3
Product ID 00391-90050-00000-AA116
System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
Pen and touch No pen or touch input is available for this display
qbellow

Re: Win 10 VM Standalone lots of pops and cracks

Post by qbellow »

One more bit of info is that Latency Monitor shows that Acpi.sys and wdf01000.sys are two of the culprits interfering, though I don't know what to do about it.
tarkus1971

Post by tarkus1971 »

Try using all CPU threads, in the CPU page in the options menu. Also check or uncheck the OpenGL box, see if that helps.
CPU Threads.png
CPU Threads.png (679.21 KiB) Viewed 2703 times
qbellow

Post by qbellow »

Nah I tried that a bunch of times as well, didn't do anything to help. I gave in and ordered parts for a desktop build. Hopefully this new machine runs it fine.
ColinP

Post by ColinP »

An i7-10750H has mid-range performance (26 GFlops) so ought to be powerful enough to run medium sized VM patches without any issues.
slicksys@gmail.com

Post by slicksys@gmail.com »

Hi! I recently purchased Sines to check out CherryAudio's wares and compare them to the wayyy more expensive Arturia products. The good news is the synth sounds marvelous. Lots of fat and really analog. The bad News is, when playing any of the provided presets, the synth starts crackeling and popping.

Typically I would chalk it up to an underpowered PC or numerous, very complex algorithms that were necessary to make the synth sound as good as a $5k hardware synth. However, in my experience, the PC I have has been fast enough for just about anything I throw at it, including building a 348 project (not my design) .Net solution in Visual Studio regularly.

My Current Hardware: ASRocks Z170A-X1/3.1 MainBoard
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700K CPU @ 4.00GHz, 4001 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
64 GB DDR4 - RAM
4Tb of Hard Drive space on 2 NVME Samsung 980 Pro Hd's.

Software: Reaper DAW (I generally keep it up to date)
Cherry Audio's --> Sines VST 64

If anyone from Cherry Audio or other helpful synth enthusiast feels they may be able to help me solve the issue, I would really appreciate it. Considering the price point on these VST's, if I can get it working correctly I'll purchase the whole catalog because aside from the noise, Sines at least sounds terrific.

Thanks in advance,
Dev Slicksys
PoorFellow

Post by PoorFellow »

I have same CPU though a little less RAM and poorer hard drive but still I agree that the system performs nice....
I do not have any definite ideas with respect to your problem but I think that you should maybe double check sound settings.
Also , and I am sure that some may find this a strange statement , then sometimes other software running appear to be able to disturb e.g. VM.
But , like I wrote then I got no definite idea since I think that the possible reasons could be a number of things (settings, drivers , dependencies) . But I do think that sound settings including Windows' are a good place to start. Also check mounted sound driver (ASIO or whatever)(I recently had a problem where a driver that ought to have worked didn't).
Anyway , I am sorry for not having a better answer for you !
Since this concerns a 'purchase' then perhaps 'support' have something to add if you ask them !
:arrow: Don't bother me ! :!:

Return to “Voltage Modular”