Module Save Missing

For discussion of the Voltage Modular synthesis ecosystem.
anonyrat

Module Save Missing

Post by anonyrat »

When I say module save, I am talking about update.

My Scenario:
Take any module, usually with multi parameters for example "Tiny Voice" - I am not singling this out but it was what started all this for me.
Change parameters to get what you want.
Right click and under Module Preset there is an option to "Save as.."
Save as "This is my forever patch 1"
later
You need to update your forever patch after making a tweak etc..
Right click and you now get "save as" or "manage"
Manage gives you an explorer view
"save as" allows a new name "This is my forever patch 2" OK however I don't want a second version
"save as" - "This is my forever patch 1" will do the job however it doesn't come up with the OLD name just a blank for you to fill in.
If you can remember the ACTUAL name...way back when you originally opened this preset

Hence a simple "Save'" would have saved a lot of mucking around.
huggermugger

Re: Module Save Missing

Post by huggermugger »

VM itself has a similar problem. Create a patch. Save and give it a name by clicking on SAVE or typing the key command. Edit the patch. Then click on SAVE or type the key command. This should just save over the previous version, like any other program. Instead it brings up the Save dialog again, which should only happen with a Save As request. Polymode and PS20 behave a little more normally, sort of. Type the key command, it saves without a fuss. But click on the Save button, and it brings up the full save dialog, in other words, a Save As. That "Save" button should be relabeled "Save As". This faulty behaviour is inconsistent across the line of products, and it's really annoying. I've lost patches because of it.

Every one of their programs should have the two usual options of Save and Save As. I've brought this problem up before, but so far, nothing.

BTW, if you're reading this, there are two workaround to avoid the Save As dialog when you're simply trying to save changes to a VM patch. 1) Add the Shift key when you use the Save key command, or 2) hold Cmd/Ctrl when you click on the Save button. Confused? Yeah.
Steve W

Post by Steve W »

Found it. TY.
Last edited by Steve W on Fri Nov 12, 2021 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve W

Post by Steve W »

huggermugger wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 12:01 pm VM itself has a similar problem. Create a patch. Save and give it a name by clicking on SAVE or typing the key command. Edit the patch. Then click on SAVE or type the key command. This should just save over the previous version, like any other program. Instead it brings up the Save dialog again, which should only happen with a Save As request.
Personally, I like the way VM asks if I want to overwrite the patch I had been working on and gives me the option to rename it. Often when working on a patch I am so involved in twiddling knobs and things that I loose track of things.

Also, I like that VM saves the patch in the last state it was in when I closed VM so it can be reloaded upon rebooting VM.

I would much rather have these two features than the way most other programs work.

We can agree to disagree on this. No need for you to convince me your preference is better and no need for me to explain further why I like my preferences. The developers did it the way they did it and I hope they don't change it.

By the way, sometimes I use the same name exactly, sometime I tweak it with an alphanumeric extension (such as, "Save Test - 001a"), sometimes I change the name entirely. I think its thoughtful that VM gives me the renaming prompt without having to decide beforehand, "Do I want to click Save or Save As or Cancel."
Steve W

Post by Steve W »

anonyrat wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 2:00 am Right click and you now get "save as" or "manage"
Manage gives you an explorer view
"save as" allows a new name "This is my forever patch 2" OK however I don't want a second version
"save as" - "This is my forever patch 1" will do the job however it doesn't come up with the OLD name just a blank for you to fill in.
If you can remember the ACTUAL name...way back when you originally opened this preset

Hence a simple "Save'" would have saved a lot of mucking around.
Thanks for leading me to discover Module Presets. I tried the steps you gave. I agree. If its possible, pre-loading the name of the previously loaded named set of values ["module preset"] would save time looking for the name of the loaded preset.

The named set of values feature might be more useful if they could be called up/switched with a CC.
anonyrat

Post by anonyrat »

Steve I was about to post that you had confused patches with module presets which I was talking about BUT see you have found it :D

In case others have missed this:-
Tried to put this in one post but it got messed up so sorry will post multiples - POST 1
This is what you see when you right click on a module that has NO presets so then you save as to retain your settings
Save As.jpg
Save As.jpg (61.16 KiB) Viewed 1911 times
anonyrat

Post by anonyrat »

POST 2
Now this is what mine looks like after saving a few
Save as 2.jpg
Save as 2.jpg (84.14 KiB) Viewed 1910 times
The problem I had was, if you recalled "DOUBLE Synths C" and you worked on a whole arrangement and then saved a PATCH but then thought I really want to permanently change the module preset but which one did you call up? A thru F ? If you thought it was D and then did a "save as" DOUBLE Synths D then you will have overwritten your copy of D with the new "C" settings.

Save As 3.jpg
Save As 3.jpg (10.92 KiB) Viewed 1910 times
You see it doesn't come up with the original name "DOUBLE Synths C" to give the choice to save same name (overwrite Y/N) or enter a new name.
Steve W

Post by Steve W »

anonyrat wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 11:31 pm Steve I was about to post that you had confused patches with module presets which I was talking about BUT see you have found it :D
Actually, I didn't see it because I was looking for a field, not the words, "Module Preset" as a menu item with an expansion arrow. Wasn't due to confusion between patches and presets, but rather due to looking too quickly! :( Now that I see it, I will make some time to explore ways I can use it. I have some ideas. Thanks. :)

NEW INFO: Good news!!!! Earlier I was rediscovering a test patch that uses JK's Random Sampler. My original test had five wav files that were selected randomly. So, I saved the original list as a "Module Preset", added a few more and saved a second list. Nice!!!! I can now manually choose different sets of wav files for the module. Wish the named sets of module settings could be selected either with CV or midi. To me that would be more of a significant improvement than just resolving the missing name issue.
anonyrat

Post by anonyrat »

Steve,

Have you tried VARIATIONS - save your 2 or more variations with the different waves and then select variations by CV (random, next or prev) :D
Steve W

Post by Steve W »

anonyrat wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 4:42 am Have you tried VARIATIONS - save your 2 or more variations with the different waves and then select variations by CV (random, next or prev) :D
Yes, I have used variations. I was just trying to explore the use of saving and recalling modular level settings to see where I might use them since I had never used them before. Obviously having them (even though they need to be recalled by human intervention (mouse clicks)) keeps setting variations from cluttering patch list folders. I can see other possible benefits in terms of designing patches (being able to reuse preferred settings on a per module basis) and real time performance (switching settings on the fly using a mouse). Thanks.

Return to “Voltage Modular”