Newbie on Cables

For discussion of the Voltage Modular synthesis ecosystem.
anonyrat

Newbie on Cables

Post by anonyrat »

Trying really hard to get my head around patching different modules, using presets I am getting there very slowly. One observation so far is cabling.
Now I read the post about using (or NOT using) the shift key to move multi cables and I understand that.

Let us say there are 3 sockets, A, B and C

I want to patch A to B - so I click on A and drag to B
Now I want to add A to C - so I click on A and this opens up the Smith and Wesson bullet holder. I click on a bullet hole (you can tell I am a newbie) and drag a second cable to C [what a pain this is]

Now some might say well you can drag a cable from C to A but the elephant is still in the room IF C has a pre-existing cable.
This problem is exacerbated if C (or B) is off the screen view. Maybe you 'ol timers don't think about it much but coming at it fresh, what I feel like I want to do is: Hold ALT and click on A and just drag a cable to C

It would IMHO be easy to ALT-CLICK and drag a cable from a socket no matter how many are all ready instantiated.
Hold SHIFT-CLICK to move a socket full of cables
Then the only time the bullet holder would be needed is to disconnect a particular cable.

NOW, having written all this I can see an easier method - clicking on a socket doesn't open the bullet holder - It just acts normally and allows you to just drag a cable out. Then use the ALT-CLICK to open the bullet holder to disconnect a cable. Hold SHIFT-CLICK to move a socket full of cables Sorted !
Cherry Dan
Site Admin

Re: Newbie on Cables

Post by Cherry Dan »

There are all sorts of handy functions to make cabling easier. One that you'll find very helpful is the CTRL or CMD key. (CTRL in Windows, CMD on Mac)

In your scenario, hold down the CTRL or CMD key, click on A, and then click on B and C. This will connect cables without having to drag anything at all. Furthermore, you can use this on a jack that already has a cable in it. It won't expand the jack at all, it'll just let you easily connect as many cables as you'd like.

Let's say A is in Input jack. You can hold down CTRL/CMD, click on jack A, and then click on an unlimited number of output jacks. They will all be instantly wired up to Jack A.

Also, if you want to move a bunch of cables at once, you can hold down the SHIFT key, click on any jack with one or more cables in it, and drag all those cables at once to a new jack.

- Dan @ Cherry Audio
anonyrat

Re: Newbie on Cables

Post by anonyrat »

Thanks Dan very useful. That will speed up my work - says the newbie where it takes me 30 mins to figure out where to plug it in. :D

Return to “Voltage Modular”