This is my first Patch

For discussion of the Voltage Modular synthesis ecosystem.
Purzie

This is my first Patch

Post by Purzie »

Just wanted to share a first patch that I was forever working on and hope I can either get pointers or you all can use at your choice Thanks for the Support.
Dark Chords.voltagepreset
(28.27 KiB) Downloaded 103 times
schoekah

Re: This is my first Patch

Post by schoekah »

Hey, cool! Not an expert, so can't make suggestions based on having more knowledge or anything. I've been doing VM for about 2 years, and only now am I getting in to chords - I'm trying to wring as much out of a monosynth as I can - I don't even want to go near poly modules - seems like cheating! (and I have lots to learn about synthesis before I move on)

I love the staggered attacks - I own but haven't yet used the super EG - that's a great idea, and I'm going to do that.
great using fine tune - sounds awesome!

seems like it's dying for some ring mod, to give some complexity (or some kind of effect - delay is my super power!)
love to see retrigger env when you're holding down more than one note (not sure how to do that myself - that's probably a poly thing)
and you've probably been entered into a police database somewhere for not having any LFOs (giving some parameters some motion - although I'm a bigger fan of sample and hold for this than LFO - little micro-wobbles on pitch, like 1% and salt to taste)

and, of course, square waves are the best waves (joke)

great stuff!
honki-bobo

Post by honki-bobo »

Very nice patch! I can absolutely hear this in some LoFi Hip Hop tune. Put this patch through some "downgrading" modules (like bandpass, noise, crackles, maybe some bitcrushing/downsampling) and off you go.

Something like this:
Dark Chords LoFi.voltagepreset
(41.17 KiB) Downloaded 109 times
Monkey Business Audio
Modules - Music - Twitter - YouTube
Steve W

Post by Steve W »

I am only getting extremely low level random crackles from this patch. I thought it was my hearing, but when I hooked up two different oscilloscopes, they confirmed what I was hearing. All my other VM patches work as expected. Is there a trick to getting sound from this patch?
honki-bobo

Post by honki-bobo »

The random crackles come from the "Dust" module. Play a few notes to hear the chords in action.

The patch should look like this:
Dark Chords LoFi.jpg
Dark Chords LoFi.jpg (647.67 KiB) Viewed 1675 times
If you can't hear anything, try bypassing the modules you don't have in your library.
Monkey Business Audio
Steve W

Post by Steve W »

honki-bobo wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 2:56 pm The random crackles come from the "Dust" module. Play a few notes to hear the chords in action.

The patch should look like this:

Dark Chords LoFi.jpg

If you can't hear anything, try bypassing the modules you don't have in your library.
Thanks for the tip. The only module I don't have in the patch is the virtual controller I am using a keyboard to trigger notes. I will try to find out how to use the virtual controller.
honki-bobo

Post by honki-bobo »

The virtual keyboard can be activated by clicking the little keyboard symbol in the top bar (between the tempo and the question mark). Your MIDI keyboard should work as well.
Monkey Business Audio
Steve W

Post by Steve W »

Thanks. To see the UI, I have it set to 2X. I will try changing it to 1X and activating the qwerty keyboard. As for MIDI, if I turn up line 2 on the stereo 6 channel mixer, I get an enveloped white noise-like sound. The actual keyboard is triggering the envelopes.

Nope. No pitched notes from the QWERTY keyboard either. I use ASIO, but I tried Windows Audio, too. Everything else in VM works as usual.

Traced the issue to the envelop follower. On the input, I get the dial-tone tones as in the original patch. On the output, I get garbage. I use 48KHz; 44.1KHz makes no difference. Oh well.
Last edited by Steve W on Sun Oct 17, 2021 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
honki-bobo

Post by honki-bobo »

Hm, that's odd. Can you post a screenshot with visible cables?
Monkey Business Audio
Steve W

Post by Steve W »

I will try the patch on a different computer first. If I get the same issue, I will do a screen shot.

AHA!!!!!! On the second computer, I now see that you use your Decim8or module. It shows up greyed out with the usual Info and Demo boxes. On my main computer, it was just missing!!!!! Not sure why that is. :-( Maybe there's a setting for "Don't show modules I don't own" or something like that.

So, I patched the Decim8tor out and sure enough I got sound. Sorry about the confusion.

Note: I have a number of your modules and during your sale, I looked for an "Ultimate" bundle, but didn't see it--just the everything-before-a-certain-point bundle, but since I didn't get a discount for the ones I already owner, I didn't get it. LOL: I just looked it up (the Totally Bananas Bundle!). That's the one--but the sale price didn't include a discount. Otherwise I never would have known I was missing a module in the patch!!

Return to “Voltage Modular”