Garageband/Mac Issues

For discussion of the Voltage Modular synthesis ecosystem.
daveyrojo

Garageband/Mac Issues

Post by daveyrojo »

Hey everyone!

I just started using VM and other Cherry Audio products. I have a couple issues I wasn't able to find answers to (though I wouldn't be surprised if it's documented somewhere and the forum search is just inefficient):

1.) My saved variations all disappeared - my presets remained.

2.) Garageband seems to reference it's own library for VM. If I make a preset in the standalone app I don't see it in Garageband.

3.) When I open a previous project VM has the orange circle with the exclamation point - signifying it can't be found. However, I am able to open the plugin up and then the circle goes away however there are no cabinets - just the global I/O.

Each individual thing isn't that big of a deal but all of them culminate into a pretty worrisome issue for my workflow. I already have an idea of how to adapt but I am hoping I won't need to change my workflow and I can find a solution.

For reference: I'm on a 2015 MBP with 1TB of memory 16 GB of RAM and running Big Sur.

Thanks for your time if you're able to point me in the right direction or provide me with some info!
RobB258

Re: Garageband/Mac Issues

Post by RobB258 »

Hi
Not sure about GarageBand specific issues but I had the same issues with Variations not saving. When you save them with the variations save button you have to save the overall patch again. Fixed me for a while when I first started. Hope this helps
huggermugger

Post by huggermugger »

RobB258 wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 6:03 am Hi
Not sure about GarageBand specific issues but I had the same issues with Variations not saving. When you save them with the variations save button you have to save the overall patch again. Fixed me for a while when I first started. Hope this helps
That's not really an issue. The variations aren't files, they're different states of the controls. If you tweak the filter cutoff, you don't expect it to be remembered unless you resave the patch. Same goes for variations.
Last edited by huggermugger on Mon Oct 11, 2021 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
daveyrojo

Post by daveyrojo »

Thanks for responding both of you! I definitely saved the variations - named them and everything. However, are you saying I need to then save the patch? So make patch ==> save patch ==> make variation ==> save variation ==> save patch again? If not - I did do these specific steps except for the last one. If it still doesn't work I can simply just save everything as patches. I tend to like to tweak everything while writing so it's not a huge hinderance to essentially have GB store my variations and VM store my instruments/patches.

Fortunately the other issues aren't a huge issue and I've figured out a work around - by saving the VM tracks in the library presets of GB under its User Patches.
huggermugger

Post by huggermugger »

Yes, you need to resave the patch. Variations are part of the patch. When you save a Variation you're only embedding it into the patch. You have to save the patch again to make it permanent.

BTW, when you use the normal key command for save (Cmd/Ctrl-S), you're always faced with that annoying dialog box, which is actually a Save As dialog. Not sure what their reasoning was for this "feature". You can bypass that annoying dialog box in two ways:

- by holding Cmd/Ctrl and clicking on the Save button.

- by holding the Shift key when you type Cmd/Ctrl-S.
daveyrojo

Post by daveyrojo »

I appreciate the info and the help! You have prevented me from having future frustrations.

Return to “Voltage Modular”