Feature req: Scaling knob as part of cable output

For discussion of the Voltage Modular synthesis ecosystem.
squarewave

Feature req: Scaling knob as part of cable output

Post by squarewave »

Hi,

Downloaded VM+designer and started a module, really love the ease of use & integration.
1 hour to fiddle with GUI and 30 mins to javafy my Csound code and publish as a plugin for myself, working out of the box.
*Really* really nifty!

This raises an old suggestion/feature request:

I made an oscillator with a Frequency modulation input.
To use the input signal it has to be scaled from +/- 1 to the frequency range (0-5000 Hz).

So then I have to add another knob, for "Frequency Modulation Input Scaling".
Why, WHY does this have to be a separate knob??

EVERY input signal has to be scaled somehow, attenuated, boosted and/or shifted.
The cable input scaling knob should be a DIRECT part of the cable output point.
You are anyway sending a float signal, just add control of a single multiplication and everything becomes so much easier.

The knob to control input doesn't even do the right thing, cos there can be several (6?) inputs,
so now there's no way to mix them, to balance their levels.
Oh, add ANOTHER knob at every cable outlet? But there can be multiple outlets, so now there's no way to mix between THEM...

This could save 10-20% of GUI space, depending, which is really a lot, and also adds some functionality.

I know you'll probably never even consider this, cos almost every softsynth ever has it wrong, but it's worth harping on...

Good work anyway!
The whole integration of the workflow may get your system to level up with Kyma and other really upscale tools, VERY promising!

(but... quite annoying if I can't publish free modules without paying 99 bucks,
even more annoying if I can't publish 3 free modules even IF I pay.
Not the biggest problem ever, I'll just drop it as sourcecode, but still.
But in this area I assume you'll come to your senses eventually - or I misread, that's always the most likely answer!...)
Cherry Dan
Site Admin

Re: Feature req: Scaling knob as part of cable output

Post by Cherry Dan »

Hi squarewave,

Are you talking about something like this -- a gain knob for every jack?

I'm confused because you went on to write:
The knob to control input doesn't even do the right thing, cos there can be several (6?) inputs,
so now there's no way to mix them, to balance their levels.
..so it sounds like you're actually asking for every individual jack to have its own attentuation knob, which would be a lot of knobs that have to go somewhere. Can you explain a little more what you'd like to see?

Thanks!
Dan
squarewave

Re: Feature req: Scaling knob as part of cable output

Post by squarewave »

Hi,
Well, a knob in the middle is a start, but it doesn't help mixing input signals.

No, the cable pot in my mind is actually same as the cable endpoint.
Just let each jack itself turn into a knob - just a narrow ring showing amount, range +/- 3 or so (cubic scale usually the best).
That doesn't use any more space than now.

Right now you use that spot for grabbing the cable for disconnection, but that can be solved.
Either a keyboard selection (eg SHIFT) or double-click to disconnect or smth.

It's really a space saver since you can get rid of separate pots beside the jacks, just have smart inlets and dumb outlets.

(I've tried to tell people who can solder that this kind of phsyical cable would make them rich on the modular synth market, but who ever listens to the voice of reason, esp from someone who can't even solder... ;) )

Cheers,
/rasmus

Return to “Voltage Modular”