Cubase 11

For discussion of the Voltage Modular synthesis ecosystem.
hexfix93

Cubase 11

Post by hexfix93 »

Glitchy performance on my i9 9900k in cubase 11. Its a little better when i turn cable visibility off.

I really like this and want to use it on my tracks...
schoekah

Re: Cubase 11

Post by schoekah »

OS?
vm version?
HowlingMod

Post by HowlingMod »

hexfix93 wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:55 pm Glitchy performance on my i9 9900k in cubase 11. Its a little better when i turn cable visibility off.

I really like this and want to use it on my tracks...
the first time i see someone with the same problems i had, is in it a thread here somewhere;

1. turn off logging
2. indeed turn cable visibility off.

i bought VM mainly for cubase, but because the excessive peaks, etc, it was quite... well... strangely as plugin in the maschine plugin, it acted nice.

i have a new desktop now, with the same GPU, by the way, new build, the problems are gone.
that is of course nót a solution. didn't built it for this problem..

so i used VM in another, and great, way, standalone mostly, and other DAW's.

what precisely the problem was/is, i never could find out. was a i7-6700K, 32gb, nvidia gtx 1060 6gb.

why it now works much much better? yes the difference, 8 (real) cores more, and a better single core performance, but the same graphics card, gtx 1060 6gb, also 32gb (higher speed), and windows 10 pro (as beforer).

over the years, i tried to contact cherry audio, but they couldn't do a lot, its eems, i gave it up soon, so i use VM differently, and often...

but i am glad i can work in Cubase Pro 11 again, with VM, or again, for the first time with no problems.

same setup, i mean; the same soundinterface, the same midi-controllers (a lot, and even added 1 or 2...). same programs. etc.

yes the new CPU outperforms my old one, but that was still i quite mighty CPU, and a i9-9900K, well is even more powerfull...

but i must also perform well on an old i7-6700K, or old... Voltage Modular i mean in Cubase Pro 11.

so never found a solution.

also, i can't check it anymore, while i was building the desktop, a new version of VM came out. that increased performance, i couldn't check that, if it solved it for my old desktop.

so it can also be that the new version gives you a better experience, the latest version of VM is: 2.3.4, download it from the site, if you don't have, is faster, then let it auto-update...

i have mentioned this problem a few times in this forum also, and perhaps somewhere else.
never a solution.

aha, an 8 core/16 threads processor. set threads to 4. perhaps that can help.

sorry, i jump in with my personal story, it was a long time, a frustration, and after that i let it go, now i can finally work with it in Cubase.

and i have more DAW's, so, if i need it it in a DAW, i chose another one...

but that is a luxury...

indeed, hide cables, disable logging. you can play with the openGL settings (never had any influence, openGL slightly better).
and the multi-thread setting, i think i remember to set it to half of the cores. but of course you can set it higher.

also; what did work, but still not that well; closing the GUI of Voltage Modular while in Cubase. it was usuable. in that way. but still erratic peaks sometimes.

EDIT: i tested some more with my new setup, indeed, no erratic peaks, but still sometimes, the GUI interferes, only in some cases, that aren't problematic. while testing one time, before it was, all the time. and i played, with a polyphony setting of 12, could go higher a MPE patch, that wasn't playable before. enough headroom, more than enough..

your CPU is quite capable, it is an interference with GUI and Cubase, the GUI thread of Voltage Modular, in my opinion, can't test it fully of course.
the GUI thread (or better process.. i think it will be a process or a thread??) can be better of VM.
so not solved, yet.
Ryzen 9 5900X, 32 gb, gtx 1060 6gb, win 10 pro. voltage modular core; psp ultimate, andrew macaulay ultimate, ben davis complete, MRB, Vult, Weevil, one & two year bundle etc. (910+ modules)

https://soundcloud.com/sada-exposada
cherryaudio Greg
Site Admin

Post by cherryaudio Greg »

Yes, definitely experiment with the OpenGL and multi-thread settings.
HowlingMod

Post by HowlingMod »

cherryaudio Greg wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 4:40 pm Yes, definitely experiment with the OpenGL and multi-thread settings.
why does this only happen in Cubase, in my large post, and i posted about a few times, i guess, and maybe via support, i asked about it.

hide cables worked. but not enough.

but in way for me it is solved. is it the Intel proc? windows 10? combination?

solved, in the sense, new desktop does not have those erratic peaks, i can pull polyphony up to madness.... 16..., i don't have so much fingers, o yes of course release... yes the cpu performs much better than my previous one, but, one instance of VM, it had to handle it. an i7-6700K @4.4 wasn't that bad, i wanted more. as a bonus, Voltage Modular that behaves itself in Cubase Pro 11/windows 10 pro...

(or perhaps something lingering, no, i had the problem also on win7, a clean install on my previous desktop for windows 10 pro, late adaptor!, 2 years ago, didn't solve it).
Ryzen 9 5900X, 32 gb, gtx 1060 6gb, win 10 pro. voltage modular core; psp ultimate, andrew macaulay ultimate, ben davis complete, MRB, Vult, Weevil, one & two year bundle etc. (910+ modules)

https://soundcloud.com/sada-exposada

Return to “Voltage Modular”