Serious problem with voltage modular although suspect windows issue

For discussion of the Voltage Modular synthesis ecosystem.
Xeys42

Serious problem with voltage modular although suspect windows issue

Post by Xeys42 »

Hello, this is my first post here. I purchased Voltage Modular as a birthday present to myself last December, I've not used it much but intend to get seriously into it soon. Life sometimes gets in the way of music production. :lol:
Lately I've been having some serious problems with my laptop, Firefox crashing the computer, Chrome not running properly, chkdsk wanting to run regularly and when it does it seems to find problems with Firefox. The latest problem is with Voltage Modular, it reported a 'bad image' error so I installed the relevant file which made it run but now when I start Voltage I get howling feedback and the graphics aren't loading, see enclosed picture. I suspect a problem with my computer and not voltage, however if anyone can shed some light on what's going on I'd be grateful.
voltage_error.jpg
voltage_error.jpg (41.2 KiB) Viewed 2320 times
ColinP

Re: Serious problem with voltage modular although suspect windows issue

Post by ColinP »

Hi,

This sounds like a generalized problem with your computer rather than anything to do with Voltage Modular.

Windows uses a lot of "DLL" files. This stands for Dynamic Link Libraries which sounds very technical but essentially they are just programs or bits of programs.

This error message is produced when Windows finds one or more corrupted DLL files. It could be caused by any number of issues so it's difficult to be specific but as you are having multiple problems then it's probable that a commonly used DLL is corrupted.

There are various things you can do to fix it so don't panic. Although it might take you a lot of time.

You can google windows bad image and you should be able to find various resources including YouTube videos that walk you through the options.

Sometimes you can do a quick fix but when things go badly wrong you need to do a system restore. This effectively takes your computer back in time to a point when everything was OK. But it should leave your data files intact.

Google windows restore. Again there should be YouTube videos that walk you through the process.

Sometimes if you have an old machine that's full of clutter then this can take an hour or more to do so be patient.

You should be able to fix this without losing any data but just in case, if you have any really valuable files that have not been backed up then it would be wise to copy them to a backup device such as a USB memory stick before doing a restore. It's probably not needed but it's good for peace of mind.
cherryaudio Greg
Site Admin

Post by cherryaudio Greg »

Hi,

You probably need to install the Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/top ... f26a218cc0

Greg
Xeys42

Post by Xeys42 »

ColinP, thanks for reply. I know it's the computer and I have good knowledge of I.T. and how computers work. Yes it can take ages to restore / reinstall OS's, many wasted nights over the past 2 decades doing this for myself and others. Already googled the error message before posting but nothing related to VM. I guess I was looking for a miracle. :ugeek: There's so much going wrong with this machine, I have to concede it's time for a new laptop.
Cheers Greg, I suspected a corrupt Visual C++ Redistributable or net framework kind of thing. Gonna' try reinstalling it and see if it helps this dying laptop. 8-)
Xeys42

Post by Xeys42 »

The Microsoft download did the trick! Guess that was the miracle I was looking for! :)
cherryaudio Greg
Site Admin

Post by cherryaudio Greg »

Xeys42 wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 8:35 pm The Microsoft download did the trick! Guess that was the miracle I was looking for! :)
Hi,

Thank you for coming back to let us know!

Greg
Xeys42

Post by Xeys42 »

Cheers Greg, no problem, however my relief was short lived as not long after the fix my laptop kicked the bucket! I have a new one now and in the process of reinstalling everything. All the Cherry Audio products I have are back on and work fine. 8-)

Return to “Voltage Modular”