Shift key need not be necessary

For discussion of the Voltage Modular synthesis ecosystem.
jclounge

Re: Shift key need not be necessary

Post by jclounge »

Oh yeah, good point ColinP, I missed that Eric said "module" developers, as opposed to "Voltage Modular" developers.. :oops:
Steve W

Post by Steve W »

Steve W wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 12:33 am The next time I am patching in VM I will try to design something so I get the feel for pulling out different numbers of plugs and moving them all to a new connecting point.
So, I didn't do this yet because I started looking through a number of my patches. It seems I rarely gang up a whole bunch of cables (plugs) to single multiple but in a number of cases I assign jacks as busses and then use those (instead of having multiple cable connected leading all over the place). Plus hovering over any jack with a bus number shows me where the cable leads.

I am not sure at this point if ganging up cables on a single multiple would make my patching easier.

But although I haven't yet come anywhere close to using up 32 busses, I think it would be nice to have at least twice that many. To me that would seem to be a useful improvement. It would be a bonus if I could hold down the shift key to reassign the bus.
ColinP

Post by ColinP »

Hi Steve,

I struggle to think of a jack as a jack socket by default.

From a UK perspective the word jack might most likely refer to a jack plug - unplug the jack from channel 1 and plug it into channel 2. Then it might be used as a verb - jack the square wave output from the VCO into the VCF. It might also refer to a cable connection - the VCO is jacked into the VCF. Referring to something like the square wave jack of VCO 1 would be the least likely scenario. At least in my experience.

Yes, busses are cool but I tend to only use them when I'm pretty sure of the final shape of a patch or when I want to tidy up a complex patch. I tried using them for more exploratory purposes but found it far easier and more visceral to use individual cables.

As an example of when moving multiple jack plugs from one socket to another is useful. Consider one is building a voice. To develop the voice one might use a keyboard to play notes, so one might end up with say three envelope generators being triggered by the GATE output from the I/O Panel.

Satisfied that the voice responds well to various keyboard inputs then one might want to replace the keyboard with a sequencer. This would involve (amongst other changes) unplugging three jack plugs from the GATE output of the I/O Panel and plugging them into the gate output of a sequencer.

Using the shift drag method this could be accomplished by holding down the shift key and simply dragging from the I/O Panel GATE output to the gate output of the sequencer.

If the modification being promoted by the OP was in place then one could perform just a simple drag from one to the other without even having to hold down the shift key.

However, if the connection from the I/O Panel's GATE output to the three envelope generators used say bus 1. Then rather than a simple drag one would need to right click on the I/O Panel's GATE output socket, select Assign to Mono Bus, then select Off, then right click on the sequencer's gate output socket, select Assign to Mono Bus, then select Bus 1.

So rather than a simple intuitive operation involving nothing more than a single drag, if a bus connection was used instead of discrete cables then one would have to engage in an intellectual exercise that involved six steps.

An alternative method would be to right click on the I/O Panel's GATE output socket, select Convert Bus To Cables and then do a shift drag. But as there is no Convert Cables To Bus option one would then end up with discrete cable connections rather than a bus connection.
wavemechanic

Post by wavemechanic »

There needs to continue to be a way to drag a single cable rather than all at once, but most of the time, I'm dragging all. The shift thing isn't a big deal to me, but it is an extra step most often. I like the right-click idea to access individual cables.
Steve W

Post by Steve W »

As I mentioned, my use of the terms jack and plug in terms of modular synths comes from my exposure to Moog synthesizers in the early 1970s. If I recall correctly jack and plug were also used that way in terms of audio gear. I recall going to electronics stores and the use of the terms jack and plug were consistent with my other experiences with those terms. If I picked up a pack that had two 1/4" phone jacks and two 1/4" phone plugs, that's how I learned the terms. I have no idea what they were called in other languages. I know that another common set of terms used for audio wiring were called RCA plugs and RCA jacks (sometime called phono plugs and phono jacks). Again, I have no idea what they were called in other languages. Until this thread, I had no idea that the use of the terms jack and plug were so controversial.

Sometimes I try to understand why people are dissatisfied with the choices a manufacturer makes. Sometimes requests / suggestions / demands for changes make sense to me in the sense that I can anticipate making use of them if the manufacturer decides to implement them.

Sometimes it seems to me that some people want the manufacturer to cater to individual, personal workflows.

As for being able to gang up cables to and later change them en masse, so far as I can tell with my VM patching experiences, my personal workflow would benefit more from having more busses than it would from having the shift key function changed.

I am not sure this is worthy of debate. All we are talking about are different personal workflows.

FWIW I just looked up 1/4" phone jack and this is typical of the kind of things I find: https://www.allelectronics.com/category ... cks/1.html
Voltage Modular 2.0 obliterates all patching limitations, and introduces groundbreaking new ways to build complex patches with fewer cables. Unlimited cables per jack allows for endless modulation possibilities.
jclounge

Post by jclounge »

wavemechanic wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 9:33 pm There needs to continue to be a way to drag a single cable rather than all at once, but most of the time, I'm dragging all. The shift thing isn't a big deal to me, but it is an extra step most often. I like the right-click idea to access individual cables.
Even with the shift key permanently held down right now, you can still open up the separated cables by just clicking as usual, and then they can be dragged as usual. Making the shift key unnecessary would not change the way dragging single cables works, it only improves the way dragging multiple cables works. :)
PoohBear

Post by PoohBear »

+1, great idea catches me out a lot....
schoekah

Post by schoekah »

I like shift key the way it is
wavemechanic

Post by wavemechanic »

Well then, you've got my vote. I would prefer shift behavior as the default.
jclounge wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 6:24 pm
wavemechanic wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 9:33 pm There needs to continue to be a way to drag a single cable rather than all at once, but most of the time, I'm dragging all. The shift thing isn't a big deal to me, but it is an extra step most often. I like the right-click idea to access individual cables.
Even with the shift key permanently held down right now, you can still open up the separated cables by just clicking as usual, and then they can be dragged as usual. Making the shift key unnecessary would not change the way dragging single cables works, it only improves the way dragging multiple cables works. :)
jclounge

Post by jclounge »

schoekah wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 7:08 pm I like shift key the way it is
There would be nothing stopping you from still holding down the shift key if you really wanted to, it just wouldn't make any difference either way! :D

Return to “Voltage Modular”