Discrepancies between module settings

For discussion of the Voltage Modular synthesis ecosystem.
daeldred

Discrepancies between module settings

Post by daeldred »

I am trying to learn here. I have been working on a mono synth with some sequencer trappings. I want to be able to press and play a key and have the sequencer start at the root note and progress up the scale for multiple octaves. One thing that is confusing to me is the inconsistency of timing (or my use thereof) of certain modules. Attached is a picture of the setup I am using for my timing. The sequencer module timing currently set at 25bpm. The clock generator is currently set at 100bpm. If you load and start them running you will see they nearly count at the same rate.

1. Why the massive timing discrepancy?
2. Am I doing something grossly wrong?
3. Is there a specific ratio between the two that will sync them?

I am aware I can use synchronization features built into some of the modules but it also makes my project significantly more complex. I’m going to try to attach this preset. Welcome to play with it to your heart’s content. Welcome suggestions. Thank you.
Attachments
Sequencer Troubleshooting.JPG
Sequencer Troubleshooting.JPG (136.19 KiB) Viewed 2059 times
daeldred

Re: Discrepancies between module settings

Post by daeldred »

Minor screwup here. Somehow I did not attach the preset for your usage. Hopefully I got it right this time.
Attachments
Trouble shooting mockup.voltagepreset
(7.54 KiB) Downloaded 124 times
Steve W

Post by Steve W »

One tool I find extremely helpful for seeing (pun intended) what's going on in cases like this is Adroit's CV Watcher. Below is a quick screen grab of the start after a stop and reset (just one of several iterations to see what goes on with different button presses and the triggers).

CV Watcher.png
CV Watcher.png (46.23 KiB) Viewed 2046 times

Note: I played with your patch a little but haven't figured yet out why button presses cause extra trigger pulses at different times coming from either of the two sources you use.

--> Stop seems to send a trigger from the 8-Step Sequencer
PoohBear

Post by PoohBear »

Add cables from the "Start" to the Resets.

This will sync up the 8 step with Clock:Gen.

There is a free Module out there called Sync Checker which is worth a look at, now you may see a high value between the difference however if it's constant figure then the timing is the same however they are just out of sync.

So "Start" now Resets then Starts the devices.
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (209.56 KiB) Viewed 2039 times

I wonder if you are also getting confused with the Rate from the 8 Step Seq, which is .25 and the Clock:Gen = 100 bpm, if you noticed I did not add BPM to the Step Seq. .25, this has already been sub-divided down, so .25 = 100 BPM,
where the confusion comes from is what are the "Steps"? They are 16th's.
If they were not 16th's and a BPM of 100 would be a real BPM of 100 (a lot of people run Step Seq.'s in 1/8th or 1/16th) meaning you would have to set your BPM to 400 in your case to run 1/16th notes, Cherry quite rightly decided that this would confuse people and scare people to run such a high BPM and hence it has already be sub-divided down. so we are back to .25 = 100 BPM
Steve W

Post by Steve W »

Thanks for the mini tutorial, PoohBear. For purposes of comparison, here are the in sync triggers after doing PoohBear's mod:

CV Watcher (After Mod by PoohBear).png
CV Watcher (After Mod by PoohBear).png (51.2 KiB) Viewed 2025 times

Return to “Voltage Modular”