Bug:VST Hosts

For discussion of the Voltage Modular synthesis ecosystem.
cherryaudio Greg
Site Admin

Re: Bug:VST Hosts

Post by cherryaudio Greg »

Hi,

That post on the Juce forums seems to be a different issue, since it was VST3 only, and the reply to the post from back in March seems to indicate that it was fixed:

"Thanks for reporting. We’ve reverted the reparenting changes on Windows which should fix the issue (as well as the Arturia issue that you also posted). Please let us know if you experience any other hosting issues with these changes."

And others haven't been reporting this issue. I still haven't found a plugin that produces the problem. I'll install a couple of Arturia plugins and see what happens.

Greg
ivybirds

Post by ivybirds »

Greg, again it's not just Arturia, I am sorry I used that example in my picture as it seems to be causing confusion. Will be happy to show pics of it doing it with Roland, Korg, Uhe, Valhalla or others
Steve W

Post by Steve W »

For a fair number of my VM explorations I have used the Plug-In Hosts. So, I have been reading this thread with interest. With my plug-ins (mostly instruments, but some FX as well), most (VST & VST3) work. A small minority don't work--especially older ones, ones that have unique UIs, etc.

I generally just choose a different plug-in (since most of mine work), but with the recent discussion, I am wondering if there might be hope for some of my plug-ins.

Occasionally I have thought of starting a thread where I and others can post the names of plug-ins that work and plug-ins that don't work. However, this thread leads me to believe that there is nothing consistent from one VM user to another. How can all VSTs and VST3s be a problem for one user yet only a small number cause problems for another user?

With the discussion of JUCE, is there is a tool that I can use to scan dlls and vst3s to see if they use JUCE and which version they use?

Also, I never use OpenGL. Is it OpenGL that uses JUCE? Maybe that accounts for why most of my plug-ins work.

So, is there a tool I can use to scan dlls and vst3s to see if they use OpenGL and what services they use?

Thanks.
Last edited by Steve W on Thu Aug 26, 2021 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cherryaudio Greg
Site Admin

Hi,

Turning off OpenGL in CPU settings would be an excellent thing to try if you haven't already tried that.

I tried a couple of Arturia VST3s (B-3 v2 and Ob-xa v) and they do seem to be frozen, but the VST2 versions work fine. In general, that's always a good thing to try: use the VST2 version instead of the VST3 version if you're having problems with VST3.

But that doesn't seem to be the issue you're having.

Try turning off OpenGL, then restarting Voltage Modular.

Greg
ivybirds

Post by ivybirds »

Steve W wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 4:50 pm

With the discussion of JUCE, is there is a tool that I can use to scan dlls and vst3s to see if they use JUCE and which version they use?

it is my understanding that Voltage Modular itself is built on JUCE
ivybirds

Post by ivybirds »

cherryaudio Greg wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 4:54 pm

Try turning off OpenGL, then restarting Voltage Modular.

Greg
thanks, I already tried that didn't have any effect
cherryaudio Greg
Site Admin

Hi,

Juce is used in the development of Voltage Modular, and we'll likely use the updated version of Juce in a future update, but for now, we're trying to figure out why you're having this problem when others aren't. The Juce update you linked mentions VST3 problems, but you're having this problem with both VST2 and VST3, correct? I still haven't been able to duplicate the exact problem you're having. I haven't found any VST2 plugins that don't work, and the only VST3 ones with problems that I found were Arturia plugins.

Do any plugins work normally for you? Are you running Voltage Modular version 2.3.4?

Sorry if my questions sound basic, but we want to make sure we're not missing anything.

Greg
cherryaudio Greg
Site Admin

Hi,

To simplify things, you should probably be testing with one plugin host instead of 20 at once, in case there's some kind of conflict going on.

Greg
ivybirds

Post by ivybirds »

cherryaudio Greg wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 8:46 pm Hi,

Juce is used in the development of Voltage Modular, and we'll likely use the updated version of Juce in a future update, but for now, we're trying to figure out why you're having this problem when others aren't. The Juce update you linked mentions VST3 problems, but you're having this problem with both VST2 and VST3, correct? I still haven't been able to duplicate the exact problem you're having. I haven't found any VST2 plugins that don't work, and the only VST3 ones with problems that I found were Arturia plugins.

Do any plugins work normally for you? Are you running Voltage Modular version 2.3.4?

Sorry if my questions sound basic, but we want to make sure we're not missing anything.

Greg
I feel like I have answered all these things already but maybe I have not been clear and it's scattered over several posts, I also experimented quite a bit with this today so here goes. I do really appreciate the effort you are putting into this

1.)My PC is running Windows 10, its the 1oth generation I7 w/32GB of ram built new in Feb 2021
2.)I have the installer for VM 2.2.4 if I install and run that I have zero issues with anything.
3.)Running 2.2.4 I get the prompt to update. If I do I get the issues
4.)Once on the newest version every VST3 I try to run will either give me an empty blank frame when I try to edit it, or display the editor but it's not editable in anyway
5.)On a Fresh Install of VM I can run regular VST plugins with no issues, however if I run VST3 I get the error and then get issues with regular VST. If I exit out and restart I can VST fine but then try and run VST3 I get the errors
6.)the issue effects every VST3 I have tried from every developer. Most of VST3 I own are synths and I have a bunch of them I get it every time no matter which one
7.)For testing the past few days I have just been running a single Mini VST Host module connected to MIDI and running audio to outs 1&2 no other modules
cherryaudio Greg
Site Admin

Hi,

In my testing, not all VST3 plugins were causing problems. I wonder if it's an instruments vs effects thing? But I was also able to run some VST3 instruments with no issues (like Orb Synth, for example).

I didn't realize that VST plugins worked until you used VST3 plugins. What you could do right now would be to avoid hosting VST3 plugins that give you problems, and we'll be looking into incorporating that new Juce version in a future update. It does specifically address VST3 issues.

Greg

Return to “Voltage Modular”