Bug:VST Hosts

For discussion of the Voltage Modular synthesis ecosystem.
ivybirds

Bug:VST Hosts

Post by ivybirds »

Every Since the update my VSTS are not displaying correctly using both VST Hosts in VM. They load but when you hit the edit button you get a blank frame where you can't actually see the VST editor, or you can see the VST editor but nothing is clickable

I am running Windows 10, with an I7 with 16gb of ram. It does this on VST and VST3. Synths, effects, etc, from multiple manufacturers

I made many presets before the Update using the VST hosts and they all worked fine, after update they don't. New presets also do the same

Thanks,
cherryaudio Greg
Site Admin

Re: Bug:VST Hosts

Post by cherryaudio Greg »

Hi,

I just tried loading up a few different VST2 and VST3 plugins in the Plugin Host and Mini Plugin Host and I didn't have any problem.

Are you using Voltage Modular as a plugin or standalone? Try it with the standalone if you haven't already.

If it's the plugin version of Voltage Modular, which plugin format is it? Which DAW?

Greg
ivybirds

Post by ivybirds »

thanks for getting back to me, I am using it standalone on Windows 10 on a PC with a 10th generation I7, and 32 GB of RAM so it's no slouch. My primary use of VM is to host VST synths and a bunch of VST effects for live playing

I was using my go to preset I have saved that has 4 rows of Cabinets. Each Cabinet has VST Host for the main synth, and four Mini VST Hosts for effects all plugged into each other then to a pair of outputs that go via USB directly into my Mixer (Behringer X32)

Each cabinet also has at least 5 maybe a few more free running LFOs that are connected to the various VSTs as needed

Anyway was using it fine like I have been for months. Got a message that the update would happen at the next restart and when I tried to use the next day I got the VST display issue

Thinki9ng it was an issue with running 20 VSTs at the same time I started from scratch and it did it with just a single VST

I will try uninstalling it and starting from scratch as a fresh install
ivybirds

Re: Bug:VST Hosts (new info)

Post by ivybirds »

There is most definitely a Bug when displaying VST editors in the new update. When I install the program using the older installer for 2.2.4 I have on my PC I get zero issues. After a minute or two of playing I get prompted to update after the next restart. I hit ok and close, let it install and then immediately relaunch and there is the issue again.

If I then reinstall the older version the problem goes away. I doesn't matter if I run one VST or 20, if I have hardware video acceleration turned on or off no difference, or if I have multiple threads turned on or off, no difference

I can repeat this ad nauseum same exact thing. First time on the new version it will launch the VST editor but nothing is clickable, if I close the editor and then reopen the editor all I get is a blank yellow frame
cherryaudio Greg
Site Admin

Post by cherryaudio Greg »

Hi,

I can't duplicate the problem here. Maybe it's only happening with certain plugins? VST or VST3?

Greg

Greg
plugin host modules
plugin host modules
pluginhostsorbsynth.png (75.62 KiB) Viewed 2493 times
ivybirds

Re: Bug:VST Hosts (added screen shots)

Post by ivybirds »

I tried it with dozens of VSTs in both VST and VST3 from a bunch of manufactures like Arturia, Waves, NI, Korg, Roland, Uhe etc. From free plug ins to things like Omnisphere

Here is a screen shot of Arturia Synclavier V happily running and being edited in the older version of VM
The attachment vm1.jpg is no longer available
Then I get the notice to update and I do
The attachment vm2.jpg is no longer available
It reloads into the same exact session with the same exact plug in and if I try to open the editor, I get this blank yellow frame with a grey frame inside. As you can see there is nothing in it and you can see the Mini Plugin Host behind it. It says HWNDComponentWithParent if that means anything
vm1.jpg
vm1.jpg (196.07 KiB) Viewed 2487 times
ivybirds

Post by ivybirds »

:D
Attachments
vm3.jpg
vm3.jpg (189.58 KiB) Viewed 2487 times
ivybirds

Post by ivybirds »

vm2.jpg
vm2.jpg (242.9 KiB) Viewed 2487 times
jclounge

Re: Bug:VST Hosts (added screen shots)

Post by jclounge »

ivybirds wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 3:06 am It says HWNDComponentWithParent if that means anything
Here is what seems to be the technical issue behind the problem:

https://forum.juce.com/t/juce-6-0-8-pro ... dows/45215

Cheers,
Jules
ivybirds

Post by ivybirds »

thanks, that is probably it.

Seems like a new version of juce was released just a few days ago that fixes multiple VST hosting issues, hopefully Cherry Audio can include this in the next update

https://github.com/juce-framework/JUCE/releases

Return to “Voltage Modular”