Midi channel selection via mid keybaord

For discussion of the Voltage Modular synthesis ecosystem.
hconscious

Midi channel selection via mid keybaord

Post by hconscious »

Sorry if this one's obvious. My midi controller has a quick way to swap between midi channels it's sending on and I'm trying to figure out how this works in VM. Basically I'm building out a standalone rack for performance and I wanted to be able to switch midi channels on the fly to access more parameters from my controller. It looks like it doesn't matter what midi channel I'm on, the midi assignment goes to all of the channels when I map it.

Does VM pickup all midi channels by default and I have to filter them out with modules? Or am I missing something?

For example midi channel 1 knob 1 on my controller is cutoff and midi channel 2 knob 1 is cutoff envelope decay. Basically I'm trying to stuff in as many relevant controllable parameters as possible.
Steve W

Re: Midi channel selection via mid keybaord

Post by Steve W »

Do you have https://store.cherryaudio.com/modules/m ... nel-filter? I use that to play my usb keyboard sequentially on different midi channels, but I don't see why you couldn't use it for your purposes.
hconscious

Post by hconscious »

Indeed I do! I just wanted to double check before I went that direction because it involves more routing.

Would you mind explaining how you've got yours setup? Or even just a screenshot I'd appreciate.
Steve W

Re: Midi channel selection via midi keybaord

Post by Steve W »

For the most part, I have created some test voltagepresets that parallel a performance modality I used for improvs with hardware (midi sound modules). For those tests (pretty basic tests, though I did expand a few) I used VM's mini plug-in hosts and virtual instruments. USB MIDI keyboard ==> MIDI Channel Filter (1) ==> Mini Plug-in Host (1) for several host modules each on a different channel.

This allowed me to play a layer on one software synths (notes, CCs, etc.) and move on to add another later by upping the keyboard to the next midi channel.

That's the basic concept. Rather that look at all the versions I played around with and then try to reinvent the past, I will try to carve out some time this weekend to attempt some new routings/strategies (and channelizing ideas other might suggest).

I am now thinking--if its possible, maybe a single VM Synth (not using a plug-in host) but with differences based on specific midi channels. If you have some specific design/performance starting points and features in mind, I could try to use those for inspiration.
hconscious

Post by hconscious »

Ah that's an interesting use, I hadn't thought of that.

Mines definitely a lot more basic. The goal is really just increasing the amount of knobs I have to assign to more parameters.

The midi cc learn in VM unfortunately doesn't seem to distinguish between midi channels. So I guess I'd have to use the midi filter and the convert it into cv and output it to the synth in VM. Only issue with that is I think that cv would override everything so I couldn't for example set up an envelope to trigger the filter cutoff at a certain value. I'm unfortunately somewhat limited without being able to midi learn those various knobs on different midi channels.
tgrey

Post by tgrey »

It's also worth taking a look at (and maybe try a demo it's available): https://store.cherryaudio.com/modules/cv-midi

It's my go-to module for controlling real time with midi controllers. The biggest drawback for your specific (multi-channel) use case is each instance of the module is isolated to one midi channel, so you'll need a copy of the module for each channel you're working with.
Steve W

Post by Steve W »

hconscious wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 2:46 am The midi cc learn in VM unfortunately doesn't seem to distinguish between midi channels.
Upon re-reading your original post yesterday I was wondering if this is what prompted your question. I don't know if anyone has done a feature request for channelized midi learn. I am aware that at least one module maker has implemented channelized midi learn. Sonic Lighthouse Studio's MIDI Controller Feedback modules were designed for a different purpose in mind (see description) https://store.cherryaudio.com/bundles/m ... ack-bundle, but they do implement midi learn that uses the midi channel.

For example, I tested the potential of using slider modules to show and use CC values coming from external gear that has a 4 x 4 set of knobs. I mention this to point out that it is possible, not necessarily that these specific modules would meet your needs.

Four Feedback Sliders-small.png
Four Feedback Sliders-small.png (70.08 KiB) Viewed 2246 times
hconscious

Post by hconscious »

tgrey wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 11:13 am It's also worth taking a look at (and maybe try a demo it's available): https://store.cherryaudio.com/modules/cv-midi

It's my go-to module for controlling real time with midi controllers. The biggest drawback for your specific (multi-channel) use case is each instance of the module is isolated to one midi channel, so you'll need a copy of the module for each channel you're working with.
Oh that's actually perfect, thanks for showing that to me! That's way more efficient than how I was going about using the midi filter. It got very cluttered very fast. Having to use multiple modules is no big deal.
Steve W wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 2:15 pm For example, I tested the potential of using slider modules to show and use CC values coming from external gear that has a 4 x 4 set of knobs. I mention this to point out that it is possible, not necessarily that these specific modules would meet your needs.
Appreciate the help. Good to know it's there. I think for now I'll just have to use some workarounds.

Return to “Voltage Modular”