Private PM

For discussion of the Voltage Modular synthesis ecosystem.
RobB258

Private PM

Post by RobB258 »

Hi
I wanted to check how PRivate Messages work on here. Every time I do one, locating the member, composing a message and submitting, it just sits in my outbox and never seems to be delivered. Is there another step I need to take to send it?
tgrey

Re: Private PM

Post by tgrey »

I've used them before, they definitely work... Try sending one to me? Post here once it's sent.
RobB258

Post by RobB258 »

Hi there,
Just sent PM. Shows as in outbox ☹️
Steve W

Post by Steve W »

RobB258 wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 5:35 pm Hi there,
Just sent PM. Shows as in outbox ☹️
Based on my experiences with these kinds of boards, PMs stay in the Out box until the recipients actually open them. Then they move to the Sent box. No reason to assume this one is any different. Don't assume it won't be received immediately after sending it. Maybe there is an issue with the mail server, but I recommend you wait until you hear back either via PM or here if it wasn't received.
tgrey

Post by tgrey »

I did receive it, and sent a reply!
RobB258

Post by RobB258 »

Yep got your reply. Thanks for the answer it all makes sense now, I am a bit old school when it comes to social media and messaging :roll:
Steve W

Post by Steve W »

RobB258 wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 10:44 pm . . . I am a bit old school when it comes to social media and messaging :roll:
Believe it or not some people consider old school BBSes antiquated. If there are Cherry Audio social media sites, there might even be plenty of users there who avoid bulletin board like forums.
tgrey

Post by tgrey »

Believe it or not some people consider old school BBSes antiquated
To be fair, this particular board's software *is* a bit antiquated... phpBB is old enough to enjoy a beer in the US! And it shows in some regards, it doesn't really have any modern web conveniences, it's very much designed with a late 90's early 00's web feel.

Not truly complaining tho, but it literally gave me a wave of nostalgia to see this system after almost a decade away from it... :lol:
andro

Post by andro »

I have been recommending CA move to the modern platform Discourse for a long time. It's interesting to see the low volume of traffic on this forum. I am sure most of that is due to using software from the early Bronze Age for the forum. It puts people off, I reckon. Strange that CA is cutting edge in audio and almost wilfully obsolete in their use forum. A paradox. I even offered to do the port to Discourse for them. Discourse has far better PM functionality, as a matter of fact.
tgrey

Post by tgrey »

It's funny you mention that, Discourse is *literally* the better and more modern forum system that I had in the back of my mind when typing that. ;)

Aside from the better PM capabilities, I love the ability to paste screen captures straight from my buffer onto the forums, never even having to save it to a file.

Plus Discourse doesn't completely break if you attach more than one file to a post (it might be preview causing the problem? I don't know)... but that's a bug that's been around forever and will never go away because this ancient system requires POST data to still be valid etc etc.

I'd **LOVE** to see this forums ported to Discourse. I really hope CA comes around to that idea.

Return to “Voltage Modular”