Restore off screen windows Win 10

For discussion of the Voltage Modular synthesis ecosystem.
Ade

Restore off screen windows Win 10

Post by Ade »

Hello VM people,
I have VM installed on desktop and laptop computers. The presets are stored in DropBox allowing work done in one system to be available on another.
The issue is that my main DAW has two screens and I may drag plugins handled by one of VM's VST hosts to another screen. That location is memorized when the patch is saved and, when I try to open the patch on the laptop, I can't get to that window, which opens in a space that doesn't exist on the laptop.
I've tried use Win 10's 'cascade' and 'side by side' options but they don't seem able to grab windows opened from VM's hosts.

Does anyone have a trick for restoring such windows, or is it a FR that might be useful to others?

Cheers!
Rockky

Re: Restore off screen windows Win 10

Post by Rockky »

I don't have a trick unfortunately. I'd hoped it would be possible to edit the preset file, like you can with VCV, but unlike the JSON text format that uses, the .voltagepreset files seem to be proprietary. It would be good to have an option to ignore stored window locations, I agree, but also would be great to have a .voltagepreset files editor so for instance we could edit a preset to comment out a module that has gotten corrupted in some way ourselves without having to wait for CA to fix something. Maybe they won't do that as they are also selling some presets in the store.
Ade

Post by Ade »

Thanks - at least I know I'm not missing something.
As the VST hosts are a major VM component, I can imagine this scenario cropping up. Perhaps we might see a solution in the VM host module itself?
cherryaudio Greg
Site Admin

Post by cherryaudio Greg »

Hi,

I see what you're saying. I switched the side my second monitor was on recently, and I was able to shift-right-click on the app in my Windows taskbar, select Move, and use arrow keys to get it back. But this doesn't work for the plugin GUI.

I suppose you could just re-add the plugin? Does that work?

I'll file a feature request to have an option to re-center the plugin GUI.

Greg

Return to “Voltage Modular”