How to send Poly CV to plugin host

For discussion of the Voltage Modular synthesis ecosystem.
g~tilde

How to send Poly CV to plugin host

Post by g~tilde »

Hello everyone

I am a noob to VM and have a, it seems, relatively easy quest. I am trying to send, in this example, two CV sequential lines and that ultimately goes into plug-host. The instrument that is loaded is a polyphonic instrument.

As you can see from the screen grab, I am using the poly quantizer. It could be I don't totally get the poly in VM yet or I am misusing something, or, there is something obv missing - I am not getting it. To me, there should be a way to do this very simple concept. I am prolly missing a lot here! :lol:

I want to be able to send the CV seq into one instance of the plugin host. I need CV to MIDI into the plug-in host. CV to MIDI is not polyphonic. I cannot find an equivalent by searching. It seems to me, even for the Gate information, its the CV to MIDI is the holdup, and possibly the plugin host? ?

....any and all guidance will be appreciated! Cheers, g~
Attachments
2.jpg
2.jpg (443.44 KiB) Viewed 2287 times
Rockky

Re: How to send Poly CV to plugin host

Post by Rockky »

The only way until recently was to combine mono CV to MIDI signals - use multiple CV to MIDI modules feeding into the same MIDI input port of the plugin host. If you had a poly source you'd have to SPLIT it into mono CV first then use the multiple modules into one trick.

Alternatively and a much nicer solution which enables passing poly source straight into MIDI check out this module Turbofan Propstart - Poly CV To MIDI
https://store.cherryaudio.com/modules/poly-cv-to-midi
only $5 at the moment#

BUT, in your example patch the simple solution would be to remove one of the plugin hosts and just feed both MIDI signals into it - as I said the input can take multiple inputs.
tgrey

Post by tgrey »

I'll second that! Poly CV To MIDI is a great module to simplify this.

I also noticed in your screenshot... you have gates coming from uQuence going into a mono to poly module, which then plugs into a poly to mono module. I don't think that actually will do anything useful, will it? You could just drag the gates CV from uQuence to the gate inputs on the CV to MIDI modules? I could easily be missing something there tho, I'm still a bit new at all of this myself ;)
g~tilde

Post by g~tilde »

tgrey wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:55 am I'll second that! Poly CV To MIDI is a great module to simplify this.

I also noticed in your screenshot... you have gates coming from uQuence going into a mono to poly module, which then plugs into a poly to mono module. I don't think that actually will do anything useful, will it? You could just drag the gates CV from uQuence to the gate inputs on the CV to MIDI modules? I could easily be missing something there tho, I'm still a bit new at all of this myself ;)
True, to a point .. they actually are useful and work, admittedly in its current form, its rather redundant. I am simply routing taking p-ch1 to instrument 1, p-ch4 to instrument 2... I could have routed straight out of the uQuence into the desired voice. Using the mono-poly module allows poly-out capabilities to poly-supported instruments, or split out as desired. I was thinking this would give me more flexibility, cleaner look ... except what I found out at the end of my "logic chain" using the plugin host module and its slight poly challenge. It is rather messy at the moment due to my unforeseen challenge. There are always different ways of getting where one is going. I thought I was missing something, but no, something was actually missing. I need to learn the right place to search for what "I think" I am looking for - it did not dawn on me to look at the store from within VM. I am learning. . .
g~tilde

Post by g~tilde »

Rockky wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:26 pm The only way until recently was to combine mono CV to MIDI signals - use multiple CV to MIDI modules feeding into the same MIDI input port of the plugin host. If you had a poly source you'd have to SPLIT it into mono CV first then use the multiple modules into one trick.

Alternatively and a much nicer solution which enables passing poly source straight into MIDI check out this module Turbofan Propstart - Poly

BUT, in your example patch the simple solution would be to remove one of the plugin hosts and just feed both MIDI signals into it - as I said the input can take multiple inputs.
Thank you for the insight and suggestions (grabbing wallet). Noted, a simple solution in this example would be to just feed both MIDI signals into the one plugin Host, since it's capable to take multiple inputs -- a concept/feature I have got to get use too.... Thanks again for the quick response and help!! Cheers,

Return to “Voltage Modular”